OMC 4.3 shift cable/V-block blues

bandsaw48

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys, I just installed new shift cable which apparently works too well. The new cable slides so easily that there is not enough tension to move the v-block thus engaging the ESA. My soultion was to "spring" the v-block spring reducing the pressure exerted on the v-block. This worked fine in the driveway but nice and hot on the water.... the v-block moves so easily that unless the exact postion is hit with the shifter going to nuetral, the v-block engages ESA which killed the engine yesterday as the idle was set too low.<br /><br />Any suggestions would be appreciated.<br />Thanks, Greg

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: OMC 4.3 shift cable/V-block blues

In the driveway, it shouldn't move at all. You need Un-spring that spring back to the way it was originally. The ESA system should only be engaging when coming out of gear IN THE WATER. Not on muffs. And that V block shouldn't activate anything when going into gear.

bandsaw48

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Don. To clarify, I should never shift the outdrive into gear while running the engine on the muffs and the ESA is not supposed to active while shifting into gear?

Don S

It doesn't hurt to shift it while on muffs, it's just that there isn't any prop resistance to cause the ESA system to operate. <br />No, the ESA does not active when going into gear. <br />The reason for the ESA system (in a very short explantion) is to stop the engine enough to relieve pressure on the clutch dogs in the drive. They are reverse cut and have to slide uphill on each other to release, this is very hard to do unless the engine misfires.<br />Going into gear there isn't the problem. They just slide in and go clunk and your in gear.

bandsaw48

Seaman Apprentice

Wow and thanks! I had a complete misconception of how the system was designed to operate. I guess the stb shift cable needs to be replaced as well because it pulls the vblock enough to activate the ESA going into gear (and I didn't spring that spring). When I purchased the boat, the port ESA was not wired properly and inop, when shift into gear, the oudrive would making a grinding noise and then clunck. Would you think that indicative of a clutch dog problem?<br /><br />Thanks again, Greg

Don S

If there is a grinding noise going in, that means you are moving too slowly.<br />When you shift any drive with a dog clutch. (OMC, Merc Alpha's) you should quickly move the shifter to gear so it doesn't ratchet more than once.<br />This doesn't mean you have to concentrate, and do a speed shift. Just don't ease it into gear.<br />My wife always wanted to ease our Alpha into gear thinking she was "Being easy on the boat" not realizing she was doing more harm than good.

bandsaw48

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you so much Don. You have certainly enlightened me. I can't wait to un-spring the spring and put her in the water!<br /><br />Greg