1985 Johnson 60 hp

coolguy147

Commander
Well, I just got a motor for $350 and it runs with 150-160 psi compression on both cylinder :D

I'm planning on doing a tune-up for this motor. As of right I have the carbs apart and i might need a gasket kit for them. I'm going to replace the fuel lines and clean the carbs. going to get some new champion sparkplugs too. What's the part number for the spark plug? QL?

Tomorrow i'm going to take the lower unit off and drain the gear oil.

What's the shift rod height so i can check it? how do i measure it?

Out of curiosity, did this motor come standard with VRO? Mine doesn't have it (i don't want it), but i'm just wondering if it was already converted.

What's next to do?

mark1961

Ensign
Re: 1985 Johnson 60 hp

QL77JC4 or L77JC4 gapped at .030"......

I would recommend checking out the sticky "top secret file" for your shift rod dimension, however, i do not think it covers that motor. Either measure it and write it down when you get the LU removed or purchase an OEM shop manual. The measurement is taken from the LU mating surface to the centre of the shift rod hole with the LU in neutral.....service the water pump/impeller while youre in there.

It would have had VRO fitted originally.

coolguy147

Commander

QL77JC4 or L77JC4 gapped at .030"......

I would recommend checking out the sticky "top secret file" for your shift rod dimension, however, i do not think it covers that motor. Either measure it and write it down when you get the LU removed or purchase an OEM shop manual. The measurement is taken from the LU mating surface to the centre of the shift rod hole with the LU in neutral.....service the water pump/impeller while youre in there.

It would have had VRO fitted originally.

Thanks a lot! :D

coolguy147

Commander

Forgot! but are these carbs adjustable? It looks like they're not.

coolguy147

Commander

Ok, the gear oil came out ok. Just a couple of drops of water came out. I can't judge anything yet until i run the motor on the water.

Impeller has two blades torn off but thanks God i found them in the housing lol :D

Is there supposed to be an o-ring on the top of the driveshaft?

My shift rod height is at exactly 21 inches. is that right?

Is it ok to use the NGk b7hs10 spark plugs? Mercury uses them. The gap is the same i'm guessing?

Does anybody know how to assemble the fuel pump? There's no parts diagram D:

mark1961

Ensign

The carbs have fixed orifices on both low and high speed circuits.....non adjustable.

Ok, the gear oil came out ok. Just a couple of drops of water came out. I can't judge anything yet until i run the motor on the water.

Make sure you replace the drain/fill plug gaskets with new ones.

Is there supposed to be an o-ring on the top of the driveshaft?

Yes below the splines, a new one should come with the pump rebuild kit.

My shift rod height is at exactly 21 inches. is that right?

Does not sound right to me.....was the LU in neutral? In any case, provided it was set right in the past and you dont rotate the rod while you have it off......should be all good.

Is it ok to use the NGk b7hs10 spark plugs? Mercury uses them. The gap is the same i'm guessing?

I would run the Champions in it if it was mine.

Does anybody know how to assemble the fuel pump? There's no parts diagram D:

Do you have a part number for the retrofitted pump?

coolguy147

Commander

The carbs have fixed orifices on both low and high speed circuits.....non adjustable.

Make sure you replace the drain/fill plug gaskets with new ones.

Yes, a new one should come with the pump rebuild kit.

Does not sound right to me.....was the LU in neutral? In any case, provided it was set right in the past and you dont rotate the rod while you have it off......should be all good.

I would run the Champions in it if it was mine.

Do you have a part number for the retrofitted pump?

Okey Dokey on the new nylon washers.

I'm just purchasing the impeller because the everything is fine and the kit is expensive.

Yup, lower unit was in neutral. What kind of numbers do you have?

I might switch to champions later. No biggie.

I don't think it's a retrofitted pump. It's listed in the parts on the evinrude website but the internals of the pump are not exposed. I think I got it back together ok and the diaphragm was good :D

Thanks for your help dude! I see you have a 1982 60hp :D

mark1961

Ensign

Yup, lower unit was in neutral. What kind of numbers do you have?

Almost 21" but not quite......the measurement comes down to 32nd's and you need to be pretty much spot on with it or you will have reassembly issues and/or shift problems if you do manage to get back together......dont have my manual handy atm but mine is 20" 29/32 from memory.

I don't think it's a retrofitted pump. It's listed in the parts on the evinrude website but the internals of the pump are not exposed. I think I got it back together ok and the diaphragm was good :D

Thanks for your help dude! I see you have a 1982 60hp :D

Based on the year i assumed it had VRO at some stage.....the VRO pump has a fuel and oil side. Usually when these get bypassed to run premix a retrofitted pulse pump is employed.....what is your model number?

coolguy147

Commander

Almost 21" but not quite......the measurement comes down to 32nd's and you need to be pretty much spot on with it or you will have reassembly issues and/or shift problems if you do manage to get back together......dont have my manual handy atm but mine is 20" 29/32 from memory.

Based on the year i assumed it had VRO at some stage.....the VRO pump has a fuel and oil side. Usually when these get bypassed to run premix a retrofitted pulse pump is employed.....what is your model number?

Well, I had the tape measure end against the mating surface of the lower unit but if i put it even with the mating surface...idk it's a little bit hard to explain. I think it's ok though. If you could check the exact measurement that would be great? :D from your book.

The VRO pump is completely gone. J60ELCOD. i think. It's 1985 defiantly.

mark1961

Ensign

Well, I had the tape measure end against the mating surface of the lower unit but if i put it even with the mating surface...idk it's a little bit hard to explain. I think it's ok though.

Know whatya mean.....keep the tape as close to vertical as you can to the LU horizontal mating surface.....then use a drill bit of correct size or straight edge to transfer the shift rod hole centre over to the tape....you need to be within + or - 1/32 of the height.....try this first and tell us what ya got.

The VRO pump is completely gone. J60ELCOD. i think. It's 1985 defiantly.

Actually, there is a VRO and pulse pump listed for that motor.....you obviously have the latter.....the pumps are easy to rebuild.....try your rebuild out and see how you go, if it doesnt want to play we can address that issue later.

coolguy147

Commander

The Kill switch in the box has been cut and it still works....lol ugh. Not sure what i can do? Just not use one lol? Buzzer works! tested it lol.

coolguy147

Commander

Holy crap! The high speed jet in one of the carbs is totally plugged up! This is going to take a while.

coolguy147

Commander

ok, got it unplugged. waiting on parts. will let you guys know.

coolguy147

Commander

ok this is weird.......When i first took the water pump out there was an impeller in there that used the wedge plastic key. I ordered a new impeller 18-3055? but it's the right one for 1980-1985 2cylinder 60hp engines. The new impeller uses a pin style key....doesn't make sense. Someone used the wrong impeller? I'm guessing that both the wedge and pin style keys will work on this driveshaft.

lol the old impeller had 3 of the blades broken. So glad that i took it apart and found all of the pieces.

coolguy147

Commander

OK, got the motor running on the muffs. Actually pumps water out of the pee hole now instead of dribbling. lol.

How do i do a synchronization for this motor?

I think i might need to get a rebuild kit for the primer. Motor started right up though.