just another prop question......

dutch135

Petty Officer 2nd Class
From all of the reading I can find online about props., and the proper ones, and pitch, diameter, etc.... here is a question that came to me. I run this 18ft SeaRay with the 135 v-6. The standard prop that came on the boat was the 19pitch, 14 3/4 inch stainless prop. I also have used a 17 pitch aluminum and like the hole shot better with that for skiing. But that prop is a little smaller in diameter, and doesnt' hold the water well in corners and rough water. (the stainless is a little better, but not perfect) My question is this,, because everybody says an aluminum prop flexes under load, (actually changes the pitch as it does) would I get a better hole shot from an aluminum 19 pitch than my stainless? If so, then would I maintain my top end speed (within reason) and rpm range at WOT? <br /><br />And for everybody that wants RPM's, here they are,,<br />19 pitch stainless WOT runs 5200 RPM<br />17 pitch aluminum WOT runs 5800 RPM<br /><br />Also, any thoughts on 4 blade or the new "Ballistic" props on the market?<br /><br />thanks again,,<br /> :cool:

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander
Re: just another prop question......

The only way to really get the best of hi and lo, is a switching prop. Expensive but classy. Shifts some 6" so you could have the hole shot of a 16 and the top end of a 22" or 17/23.<br /><br />Making use of prop flexing takes a lotta experiments as this is not a defined factor by prop manufacturers.<br /><br />Most enthusiasts concentrate on minimizing slip and best grip for trimming and cornering (+ raising outboards).<br /><br />You have to accept the fact that props always are a compromise between hi and lo (the reason for making the shifting type).

dutch135

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is an adjustable prop , the kind that switches,, are they something that I have control of the pitch? In other words,, can I have the pitch at 17, then at 20 when I want top end, instead of having it go all the way to its largest 23 pitch? <br /> :cool:

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

The one I'm thinking of is adjustable but not by selection while on the way.<br />It gives you the low pitch for hole shot then shifts at a certain prop -rpm. The shifting point is adjustable. From tests I've seen it's quite impressive as you get a kick-in-the-a** hole shot (claims 20-30% improvement) and when the engine reaches higher rpm and he boat is planning you get hi-speed second to none.<br /><br />Even improves docking etc. as a low pitch is easier controlled when you need low speed.<br /><br />Comes in 13/19, 15/21, 17/23, 19/25 and 21/27 pitch and for RH rotation only.<br /><br />The shift is controlled mechanically by weights.<br /><br />It's a Quicksilver (Merc) product known as 'Power2 Variable Pitch Propeller' available for Alpha One drives (don't know about others??)<br /><br />Only drawback I've heard of (besides the price) is that the shift tends to get stuck if you leave it unused the water for long periods.

dutch135

Petty Officer 2nd Class

so,<br />if i am looking for something like 17 then 19,,,, should i go with the 15/21 pitch ? and keep what i think are my best pitches right in the middle of the range? I'm going to have to research this a little more and see what the manufacturers say... thanks for the help!<br /> :cool:

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

You should focus on the WOT as this range must be respected. You state 5200/5800 which puzzles me. In my book it says 4400-4800 which indicates you are way over the limit. If your rpm are true (tach error?), you should pitch up to 21 - a 15/21 if you choose the switching as one pitch up means approx 200 rpm down.