bearing carrier 35 hp merc

lea

Seaman Apprentice
I havea 1984 merc 35 hp that the reverse doest work on, I was told that there is a cogged plastic washer that is the problem in the lower unit behind the prop, that needs to be replaced, I removed the old one but cannot get the new one on, it seems like the bearing carrier is not on all the way and I cannot get it to tighten up ,it just seems to spin, is there a trick to tightning the carrier or am I missing something??? Help

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander
Re: bearing carrier 35 hp merc

Might want to check the new carrier nut washer to see if it is left hand thread as some are. Without it getting in tight everything could come out of the LU and be lost if on the water.
Oldman570

carholme

Rear Admiral

lea;

Are you saying that the bearing carrier is spinning? If this is the case, you are missing the woodruff key which will lock the carrier and allow you to torque the cover nut.

What is the s/n of your engine?

Gerry

lea

Seaman Apprentice

Yes the besring carrier is spinning, I ccannot get it to tighten either right hand or left hand, I cant remove it or tighten it, to me it looks like it is threaded on?
lea

carholme

Rear Admiral

Again, do you have the s/n?

Here is the parts list for an '84:

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/412.cfm

See item 71 (key) under GEAR HOUSING (PROPELLER SHAFT).

It is not threaded on, the only thing preventing you from removing it is the "O" ring, item 66.

Here is a link to the condensed version of the Clymer manual and you will see the LU instructions start on page 234 where you will see how to clamp the end of the prop shaft in a vice and tap the gearcase off the carrier.

http://web.ebscohost.com/serrc/pdf?...a393-318c16ba64c2@sessionmgr110&vid=4&hid=112

Let us know how it goes. Are you in Ear Falls?

Gerry

lea

Seaman Apprentice

If I am understanding this correctly that carrier is held in place by that plastic nut, and the key keeps it from spinning??? (the key was missing) The carrier does turn freely in both directions by hand, and the last couple of threads on the nut were stripped, so, it is probably a stroke of luck that the whole thing didnt end up in the bottom of the lake, butt the carrier dosen't want to come out, so I must have to use a puller. I don't have the ser# as I am in Fort Frances and the motor is in Beardmore, its my brothers and I was there on the weekend. There is no phone or internet at his cabin so I am trying to figure this out for him.

carholme

Rear Admiral

Yes the key will not allow the carrier to spin. Don't know what plastic nut you are referring to but the carrier is torqued and held into position by the cover nut, item 73. You have to make a slotted tool to remove the nut and it should be replaced. Have you removed this nut? Only when the nut is removed, can you remove the carrier.

Gerry

lea

Seaman Apprentice

Gerry I was refeering to the cover nut it was the one that was stripped and it is removed, the only reason to remove the carrier is to find out why it will not go on far enough to allow the cover nut to be threaded on, possably broken key??

carholme

Rear Admiral

Well the key is either broken or missing. If broken, a piece of it could be preventing the carrier from going in all the way. The thing to do is get the carrier out and see what you have there.

And you really shouldn't need a puller for the carrier, especially if it is spinning. If it is just a case of a missing key, you should be able to tap the case off without a problem. If there is a broken piece in there, the spinning may have cut a groove in the case, making it difficult to get out.

Gerry

lea

Seaman Apprentice

Gerry
I agree with what you say, and I will pass it on, but it may take a couple of days to find out, I will keep you posted.
And thanks for the help.
Lea