Loading up / Flooding after sitting???

Hey Folks,

I have a 1995 Reinell 197 BRXL wih a Volvo-Penta 5.7 GL. The engin has 30 hours on a block up rebuild, before I bought it. (I have receipts for the rebuild) It starts and runs GREAT! After a few hours of playing, pulling skiers and tubers, we find a good spot to hang out and swim. The boat floats for about 60-90 minutes. We load up and the first start up goes fine. I throttle up and after about half throttle it stalls. Restart is hard takes a few cranks, the stalls again once engaged. Now we are dead in he water, canking away.

It is getting fuel as I diagnosed that on the water by exposing the carb and craking the engine. I hadmy buddy maualy choke it, andit took a few times and finally started. I let it idle for a couple minutes then back to normal. What the heck??? Anybody have an idea of whats going on?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Loading up / Flooding after sitting???

Hey Folks,

I have a 1995 Reinell 197 BRXL wih a Volvo-Penta 5.7 GL. The engin has 30 hours on a block up rebuild, before I bought it. (I have receipts for the rebuild) It starts and runs GREAT! After a few hours of playing, pulling skiers and tubers, we find a good spot to hang out and swim. The boat floats for about 60-90 minutes. We load up and the first start up goes fine. I throttle up and after about half throttle it stalls. Restart is hard takes a few cranks, the stalls again once engaged. Now we are dead in he water, canking away.

It is getting fuel as I diagnosed that on the water by exposing the carb and craking the engine. I hadmy buddy maualy choke it, andit took a few times and finally started. I let it idle for a couple minutes then back to normal. What the heck??? Anybody have an idea of whats going on?

Ayuh,.... Insteada lookin' at the carb, pull some spark plugs, 'n Look to see if they're Wet with gas, or Dry...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

I would also check your fuel quality. empty the contents of the water separating filter into a clear container. if you see separation, you most likely have water in your fuel.

I pulled 1 spark plug and it was clean I guess I should pull the other 7 also no water in the fuel water separator filter

Maclin

Admiral

If manually choking it helps then it is not flooding.