5.0 GL-A Exhaust Temp Alarm at idle only

escarter1979

Cadet
While out yesterday, we ran into some shallow water and I know we hit some sand/silt. Got out w/o problem and wakeboarded for a bit. Then when idling in no-wake speed, a faint beep-beep started and then got louder. On the way back to the ramp, it ran fine, no alarm at cruising speed, but then when idling up to and at dock, it started again.

I know it is the exhaust temp alarm because in the driveway with the muffs on, it does it after the engine is warmed up for 15 or so minutes and as soon as I unplug the cap from the temp sensor, the alarm quits.

I figured maybe the impeller was damaged and have I have pulled the sea water pump and the impeller looks fine. Any suggestions where I should look next? I would assume if the sea water pump is fine, the water circ pump should be fine too...right?

Again, it doesn't do it at cruising speed/rpm and doesn't do it until the engine has been running for 15-20 minutes.

Thanks in advance.

Senior B

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 5.0 GL-A Exhaust Temp Alarm at idle only

I would suggest a good power flush of your exhaust. Hook up the hose to your engine flush connection on the stbd side of the motor. Turn hose on high. Remove the exhaust manifold drain plugs one at a time with the water running . Stick a finger in them to bust up crud and keep doing that on each side till no more junk comes out. Post results. good luck.

escarter1979

Cadet

Thanks Senior B. I think that was the trick. I had been flushing w/o taking that back plug oug mostly because it was extremely stuck. The side with the temp sensor had a good amount of slag/crud inside. I ran it for over an hour with the muffs on and no alarm.

I decided to replace the seawater impeller while working on it and sheared off a bolt on the bracket that keeps the pump from spinning while trying to break it loose. That cost me a couple of evenings but got it fixed too.

The real test will be tomorrow on the water. Will let you know how it goes.

Senior B

Petty Officer 1st Class

Isn't there a temp sensor on both sides? Do you at least have the wire lead for a second? Mine is a 5.0GL-B and I have a sensor on each Riser. Looking forward to the results of your lake run.

escarter1979

Cadet

yes, there is a lead but no sensor. Not sure why, but luckily that side was flowing unobstructed while flushing. I plan on installing a sensor on the other side as well though.

Today went perfectly!! no beeps, no sweeps or no creeps (sorry, I'm a Spaceballs fan!).

Thanks for the help.

Carter