200hp what should the spark plug reading be?

comet424

Petty Officer 1st Class
hi i have the v200 black max engine

i have a clamp meter and i i dunno what setting to use but i set it for the 200 ACA

cuz i dont think its running right

but on one of the cylinders i get reading of 5-7
another cylinder it 8-10
another cylinder is 11-12
and the others are around the 16-18 reading

one am i doing the right setting and if so what should the numbers be and why they all different i was thinking maybe int not getting spark right this is idling with the ears on

and it doesnt like to start either it takes like 10 retries or more to get it to start up

Charlie61

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 200hp what should the spark plug reading be?

what is at reading is 5-7 on number cyc. is it voltage. amps. pressor???? . what is 200 ACA ? ACA from what I know is AC voltage amps which has nothing to do with spark plug. If I'm wrong please let me know . I think you may want to go to CDI ele.com and see the troulbe shooting to test your motor

comet424

Petty Officer 1st Class

on my clamp meter i was getting 5 to 7 while engine was running on clinder 3 i think it was and ACA is just the setting and 200 i guessing 200 volts i not sure cuz u can set it to 1000 reading then too its a clamp meter so u can put it around the spark plug wire and read the spark while turning over or running to see how much power is there

as i just had it in the water and it was running it didnt like to run smooth so not sure if i need a carb kits or if the coil packs not putting enough power out etc was running rough
but ill check website

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

You cannot read spark plug voltage with a "amp clamp"......

comet424

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok so how to you measure if the coils are sparking properly? i figured that the clamp meter tells you since its built for spark plug wire readings

so how do you check that your coil packs are working and what is the voltage and amps your supposed to get from each one?

Charlie61

Petty Officer 1st Class

coils 99% of the time work or DONOT work I would say your coils are working. What and why are you wanting to know? it would help us help you if someone can. is there something wrong with your motor?

comet424

Petty Officer 1st Class

its cuz the engine does not run smooth it kicks and shakes and shows it stutters it will never start on first try it takes 10-15 times to try to get it started before it will run it trys to start then kicks out like it only fires on 1 cylinder

also when i got the engine it was melted already the regulator was melted right out so was temperature and i guess an high low spark advanced yet the last 2 arent in the diagrams i looked at yet both are on here and no idea where the wiring goes for the regulator

and i dont wanna blow the 2 components if the stator is over powering and caused this problem as i did the blue to blue white and red to red white where i read another forum on here but the valuves are out of the range, so figure that causes the problems but then i red somewhere else u go blue to ground blue white to ground red white to ground etc, to read so i not sure

i just trying to test and make sure i dont blow the 3 parts that cost me a grand

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

You dont measure "amp" ons a ADI ignition system, you read voltage outputs and resistance and you need a DVA adapter to do it correctly with a regular ohm meter.

comet424

Petty Officer 1st Class

oh ok now can i buy this dva adapter at canadian tire or home depot or make one? or where would i get it?