Trim droops on mercruiser 165 Hp

kjdavis1964

Recruit
I am a first time owner of a mercruiser. It is a 1979 165 Hp and runs like a dream, with one exception, when i trim up in a matter of 8-10 seconds, it has leaked down completely. The oil reservoir is full and there are no leaks from any line. The local boat shop glanced at it and said repair would be anywhere from $350 low end to 1500 high end. Just want to know if this is in the ball park and does it sound like more of a piston reseal problem or a pump problem? Looking for a second estimate prior to bringing it in. When I trim up it responds without any problems, just won't hold.

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Trim droops on mercruiser 165 Hp

if it leaks down, the fluid is going someplace. took me a half summer to find where mine was going. in my case its the reverse lock valve, don't know yer engine. but look close. follow yer hyd. lines and look at ea. connection, from the rams up to the trim pump. the fluid has to go somewhere. if no leaks, then perhaps a ram rebuild, or worse, trim pump. but start with the easy stuff, then ya should be able to decide it the price is right or not. who knows, might just need to turn a wrench and tighten some hyd. lines, my lines leak periodicly and need tightening....<br /><br />350-1500 is a pretty wide window for the shop. with that kinda price range, they don't know what's wrong with it either i wouldnt think. <br />just my .02cents<br /><br />oh, welome to iboats forums, yer gonna love it if yer into boats....there is much knowledge here and many peoples willing to share that knowledge.....

hoot

Chief Petty Officer

have a 78 boat with 250 cu in straight 6, 165 hp also. my unit has fallen in the past. under the oil reservoir, there is an oil passage block. in this block, there are several o-rings. sometimes these o-rings will crack and let the unit fall. it's a little tough and messy getting the plate off as there is not much room and everything is upside down. lot of labor for o-rings. replace them all if this is the problem.

Laddies

Banned

The simple way to see if it's the cyl. or pump is to tilt up and block the unit in the up position, then remove the down lines, remove the block, if oil comes out the down ports on the cyls. you have bad cyls. if not it's the pump

kjdavis1964

Recruit

Thanks for all of the advice. Will try before I take in. will inform as to the prognosis.