New prop/new boat

cb989098

Cadet
About six or seven weeks ago I purchased a new 2012 Q5 SF with 4.3 MPI. This is my fifth boat so while in new to this forum, I've been around boats for about 23 years. I have been super disappointed in the ride of this boat. Tracking through no wake zones I looked like it was my first day piloting a boat. Couldn't keep it straight. Also porpoising like crazy. Took it back to dealer (Bass Pro) and the tested in on site lake and said all was normal. I was thinking if this was normal, I should have kept my last boat which was an 18 year old bayliner which rode way better. Looking on Internet and this forum I saw a few comments about this type of behavior and many people were improving with smart tabs. I was just about ready to go that route when on my 3rd trip out, I bump a log or something submerged and destroyed the stock aluminum prop. Since I had to replace, I jumped to a Stiletto Bay Pro II. I stated same 14.25 diameter but dropped to a 20 pitch from 21. WOW!!! Tahoe should put this prop on the boat as standard. Corrected all issues 100%. Jumps on plane and doesn't seem to hurt top end much. 54mph gps at 4800rpm. Grip in turns is out if this world. Feels almost like driving a jet ski lol. Dans discount props delivered for about $320. Worth way more for this boat!!!

marcoalza

Chief Petty Officer
Re: New prop/new boat

Hi CB & Welcome to iboats.

I'm really surprised that a small change in pitch has completely changed the dynamics of your boat.
I too suffer from the same issues you had but as it's my first boat I just put up with it as I've never known any different.

My pitch is 21 and was toying with the idea or going to 19 as recommended by a few people here which will help with wakeboarding and hole shot.

Now I'm stuffed thanks to your comments ;)
19 or 20 :confused:

dmtalon

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I jumped to a Stiletto Bay Pro II. I stated same 14.25 diameter but dropped to a 20 pitch from 21. WOW!!! Tahoe should put this prop on the boat as standard. Corrected all issues 100%. Jumps on plane and doesn't seem to hurt top end much. 54mph gps at 4800rpm. Grip in turns is out if this world. Feels almost like driving a jet ski lol. Dans discount props delivered for about $320. Worth way more for this boat!!!

I assume it did not change how the boat tracks at idle speed? That is probably my biggest complaint is looking like I'm drunk trying to get through no wake zones.

BoatDrinksQ5

Petty Officer 1st Class

I assume it did not change how the boat tracks at idle speed? That is probably my biggest complaint is looking like I'm drunk trying to get through no wake zones.

LOL - NO KIDDING! Trimming up seems to help me with that a little (and keeping people out of bow area).

cb989098

Cadet

It actually did. That was a big complaint of mine...even though the fine folks at BP said it was perfect. Tahoe is crazy for not putting this or a very similar prop as stock. Makes all the difference in the world. I highly doubt I will proceed with Smart Tabs. Don't see the need for them.

Attachments

• Stiletto Bay Pro II.JPG
    Stiletto Bay Pro II.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 0

BoatDrinksQ5

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well most people/reviews do say that the 4th blade adds great handling especially at low speeds or around the dock...

Makes me want a 4 blade even more!

Was that blade shape (cupping/rake) comparable to the stock Back Max prop?

cb989098

Cadet

Hi CB & Welcome to iboats.

I'm really surprised that a small change in pitch has completely changed the dynamics of your boat.
I too suffer from the same issues you had but as it's my first boat I just put up with it as I've never known any different.

My pitch is 21 and was toying with the idea or going to 19 as recommended by a few people here which will help with wakeboarding and hole shot.

Now I'm stuffed thanks to your comments ;)
19 or 20 :confused:

I don't think it was the pitch change that helped me out. I believe it was moving from stock 3 blade aluminum to 4 blade SS. Most will tell you to drop a pitch when going from 3 to 4 blades in order to keep rpm's close to the same. That's the only reason I dropped.

I have not pulled the kids on the tube yet but I don't anticipate any issuses there at all. This thing leaps on plane

cb989098

Cadet

Well most people/reviews do say that the 4th blade adds great handling especially at low speeds or around the dock...

Makes me want a 4 blade even more!

Was that blade shape (cupping/rake) comparable to the stock Back Max prop?

Look at the pic...the shape of the blades are radically different. I had assumed a little more cupping on this Stiletto but it really didnt have much. Whatever it is, it seems to be the correct amount. Grip is good, prop slip...according to Hering app is less than 5%. I'm sure it would be more if I had 6 people in the boat. I was only testing with me (195 lbs) and about 50 lbs of gear.

Comparing to other test with same weight, for THIS boat, Stiletto Bay Pro II is the way to go

Attachments

• Stiletto Bay Pro II.JPG
    Stiletto Bay Pro II.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 0

marcoalza

Chief Petty Officer

I don't think it was the pitch change that helped me out. I believe it was moving from stock 3 blade aluminum to 4 blade SS. Most will tell you to drop a pitch when going from 3 to 4 blades in order to keep rpm's close to the same. That's the only reason I dropped.

I have not pulled the kids on the tube yet but I don't anticipate any issuses there at all. This thing leaps on plane

Aaah, You didn't mention 4 blade. (did you)?

If I could get rid of the Tequila Wander at low speed then I'd be a happy man.

cb989098

Cadet

Aaah, You didn't mention 4 blade. (did you)?

If I could get rid of the Tequila Wander at low speed then I'd be a happy man.

No I don't think I specifically said 4 (guess I should have pointed that out). The Bay Pro II is Stiletto's 4 blade prop. I think the 3 blade they offer is called Advantage or something like that.

I'm sure most 4 blades will help and there may be better than the one I have but it's hard to imagine my boat performing any better than it does now

dmtalon

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You've certainly got my interest peaked now... I didn't really think I needed a new prop, but was seriously considering smart tabs. Only drawback I saw was swimming off the back. I thought there would be potential for someone kicking/running into them.

We use our boat for skiing/tubing/swimming... It sounds like this 4 blade would even improve the bite at launch which would be a nice plus. If it helps with the wander that would make me VERY happy.