Factory power steering not working on a 200 efi merc

Blown Challenger

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just bought this boat (93 barefoot Sanger) and took it out for the first time and noticed the ps not working.Before I start digging into this,is there anything I should be looking at first?I heard somewere the the fac ps on theres were finicky. And to check the oil level,what needs to be done so oil wont come spraying out of the fill plug?

Thanks
Jeff Z

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Factory power steering not working on a 200 efi merc

Is this the remote system that mounts in boat? If so make sure its connected to battery.

Blown Challenger

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ya,the resivoir/pump? is mounted to the transom.

Blown Challenger

Petty Officer 3rd Class

After some digging I found a wire that was taped up with electricle tape.Its hot when the key is on.Im thinking it needs to go somewere.all I see on this system is a relay and wires.Im thinking maby the last owner ditched some of the components.

Attachments

• IMAG0389.jpg
    IMAG0389.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 0

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

That big black wire is a negative and should go under the ground wire on starter bolt. It should not be hot in anyway ...

Blown Challenger

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well it is.I have the manual on order,should be here wed.One of the reasons I got rid of the capri was the lack of ps.I need to get this fixed.

Blown Challenger

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well the manual came today and guess what? NOTHING ON POWER STEERING!!!!! Im not happy right now.Any ideas where I can get a wiring diagram or anything for this???

Blown Challenger

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well,I found the problem.Somebody disconected the ground off the relay because the acuator is spewing ps fluid everywere.I took the whole system apart and tested the motor/pump,I tested the relay,made sure the relay was getting a tach signal to turn on the pump.So now I just gota find the Acuator/ram(its one piece) or have it rebuilt by a hydrolic company somewere.I did find the system on ********** but it says the part is obsolete.Ill have to call them in the am.
I am now an expert on factory outboard PS systems lol.