1976 25hp lower unit reasmbly

grappler05

Recruit
I have a 76' evinrude 25hp and about 2 months ago i was having issues with the engine at higher rpms. At higher speeds it was slipping out of gear and slamming back in, making a banging noise and eventually breaking a drive pin. When i let the oil out there was mostly water with about 1/3 oil. Not very much metal flakes but the ears on the clutch dog and forward gear were a little worn from slipping. After searching craigslist/ebay and shops for parts i was offered an old 72' evinrude 25hp for $200 (not near working condition). So after replacing the seals, i took the forward gear and clutch dog off the 72' and put on my 76' drive shaft. That was the easy part. I cannot get the lower unit to secure back right, there is always a 1/4" gap and when i go to tighten even farther the flywheel wont turn anymore. I seemed to get it tightened all the way once but there was no movement in the flywheel, could not pull start. The hub over the forward gear of the 72 and 76 seem the exact same size and fit either gear. i am stooped. Took apart lower unit probably 15 times yesterday. At the end of the day i felt like trying to break it over my knee like a golf club, so instead i drank a beer. any suggestions?

AlTn

Commander
Re: 1976 25hp lower unit reasmbly

with the lower unit...turning the driveshaft by hand clockwise while looking down on the lower unit, can you get it to shift into f - n -r ? Pushing down on the shift rod till it bottoms should yield reverse..pull up on the rod a notch and you should find neutral..pull all the way up should yield foward. If all this checks out you should be ok gearcase wise.

I use a pair of needle nosed vice grips to hold the lower shift rod in foward < all the way up >...shift handle in foward...then slide the rod into the brass connector all the way so the lower connector screw goes in cleanly w/o trying to bind, otherwise it'll strip the threads off the screw and it'll be useless.

Only other thing I can think of is that the water tube is missing the grommet on top of the water pump, folding it over and preventing the lower unit from mating properly to the exhaust housing.

Sometimes they'll try the patience of a saint, but you should eventually get it to go. Don't hesitate to post back if difficulties persist.< Sounds like the cable company rep, huh?>

grappler05

Recruit

shifting is not a problem. grommet is intact and i havent had any trouble with the shift rod. maybe i am doing this backwards? should i put the gearcase back together completely before attaching it to the exhaust housing? i have been attaching lower unit (un-assembled) to the housing first, then assembling gears and finally the gear case housing. Im notgoing to have the time to take it apart again today but tomorrow is good. any more useful info before i start my extravaganza again would be awesome. its just so weird because its so close but when i go to tighten it down the flywheel acts like its stuck. i would tighten a little at a time and keep checking the flywheel, the more pressure from me tightening, the less it would move.

AlTn

Commander

well, I can't say I've ever tried it your way....try assembling it with the gear case inverted and I think you'll find it simpler. When assembling it your way, can you keep the gear bushings located properly on the pins so the propshaft is aligned and fitted?