What to grease U joint and shaft splines with?

sambluckie

Cadet
Hope to be putting out drive back on this week when parts arrive. Should I give the ujoints a shot of 2-4-C and wipe some on the spline? I guess I'm asking if 2-4-C is what grease is recommended.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: What to grease U joint and shaft splines with?

Hope to be putting out drive back on this week when parts arrive. Should I give the ujoints a shot of 2-4-C and wipe some on the spline? I guess I'm asking if 2-4-C is what grease is recommended.

Ayuh,.... My pat answer is below,.... But, in this case,... I wouldn't use 2-4-C....

Automotive chassis grease, Yes,....

2-4-C is just too slippery, accordin' to all the spec sheets I've seen,...
It's for bushing type bearings, not bearings with movin' parts, such as rollers, or balls...

I don't think it would hurt on the splines though... not sure of it's Ep ratin'....

sambluckie

Cadet

Bond-o I was actually thinking of your pat answer when I typed the question. Just wanted to make sure. I have some of both types of grease. Thanks for the info.

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

I typically go with the recommendations of my mercruiser service manual...and the advice of Bond-o!.... I use Spline grease on the splines. (Part # 92-802869A 1)

series60

Chief Petty Officer

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

I use Quicksilver u-joint and spline grease on the coupler splines, gimbal bearing and U-joints, and use 2-4C on everything else including the prop shaft. Bought a tube of each and a couple of cheap greaseguns. Should be enough for several years.