120 performance

julioe

Recruit
I have an older, 70s vintage, 20 foot boat with a 120 (little chevy 4 cylinder) I am wondering if there is anything that can be done to get more go out of this thing. Or if any of the larger 4s would swap in and use the same headers and mounts.. thanks in advance. julio

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 120 performance

I have an older, 70s vintage, 20 foot boat with a 120 (little chevy 4 cylinder) I am wondering if there is anything that can be done to get more go out of this thing. Or if any of the larger 4s would swap in and use the same headers and mounts.. thanks in advance. julio

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... You can drop in a 3.0l, for another 20hp,... But that's It...

If ya want a Bigger motor, buy a different boat, with 1 already in it....

julioe

Recruit

that was quick, thank you, was kinda afraid that would be the answer. 20hp more doesn't seem like much of a gain for a motor swap. Is there a vintage that I would have to find to have the parts fit.

julioe

Recruit

I am sure to catch some grief but will the bell housing from the 4 bolt to a small block? It would require a fair amount of changes to the boat but seems to be a better size motor for a 20 foot boat.. thanks again

Bondo

Staff member

I am sure to catch some grief but will the bell housing from the 4 bolt to a small block? It would require a fair amount of changes to the boat but seems to be a better size motor for a 20 foot boat.. thanks again

Ayuh,... You can Do that, but to avoid the Gotchas that'll crop up, ya need to swap Everything, from pulleys to prop....