Anyone ever remove power steering? How well does it function without it?

jgrisham02633

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am setting up my boat and really don't want needless items that will require repair/expense/downtime down the road. Is it feasible to remove the power assist cylinder from my 5.7 alpha and convert to straight cable steering? What are peoples experience that have done this? Thanks

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Anyone ever remove power steering? How well does it function without it?

I think that you will miss power steering in docking maneuvers . . . and it is pretty low on the list of things that need maintenance. So, I don't think you will save much, if anything on the maintenance, but possibly have a few boat scars instead.

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I am setting up my boat and really don't want needless items that will require repair/expense/downtime down the road. Is it feasible to remove the power assist cylinder from my 5.7 alpha and convert to straight cable steering? What are peoples experience that have done this? Thanks

Popped the power steeing hose on my boat last year. Had to remove the pump drive belt and run 20 miles back to the launch ramp with steering by arm-strong. It was a tough 20 miles fighting it w/o the PS, as it pulled like a bear to the port under anything except minimal throttle and was horrible once on plane and was especially tough while docking. Absolutely not an enjoyable ride at all. Fixed the power steering the next day. I also added a trim tab to the lower unit. They say it's not needed on the Bravo drive, that is until you lose the power assist.

You may fare better w/ hydraulic steering than cable only, but you are again into hydraulics. Stay w/ the power steering.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

I am setting up my boat and really don't want needless items that will require repair/expense/downtime down the road

Then you need to get a canoe

rdranman

Cadet

I had issues with my power steering ealier this year so figured I would run without it (Bayliner 2858 w/496 MAG HO Bravo III). Bad idea. Could maneuver fine out in open water, but in the harbor was an absolute bear! Do not recommend it.

jgrisham02633

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bt Doctur, I work on the water so my boats see a lot more use than the average boat. This remarkably enough leads to a lot more maintenance and repairs than the average Joes boat. I don't think a canoe will meet my needs thanks for our input though.