Filling Tilt/Trim Fluid?

wade0510

Cadet
Thanks to help from Don S. and jestor68, I got my drive back together yesterday. It is a Volvo SX-M drive. Filled with oil, and propped and it is ready for water now. While fooling around with different things trying to make sure things work, I noticed my tilt/trim is not working correctly. It will trim up partially, and then it stops. It will hold at the stopping point, and will trim down just fine. I am thinking (hoping) that it is just low on hydraulic fluid, but I don't know. I can't see a place to fill it, and the service manual was about as clear as muddy water since I can't see anything in the pictures the manual has. Any ideas or suggestions?

Redpony

Cadet
Re: Filling Tilt/Trim Fluid?

Fill the reservoir inside the boat to mid level and you should cycle several times until you "Bleed" the actuators. Check reservoir service level after bleeding with the drive unit in the fully down position.

wade0510

Cadet

Seems like a dumb question, but where is the reservoir? On the tilt/trim motor?

wade0510

Cadet

Thanks to help from Don S. and jestor68, I got my drive back together yesterday. It is a Volvo SX-M drive. Filled with oil, and propped and it is ready for water now. While fooling around with different things trying to make sure things work, I noticed my tilt/trim is not working correctly. It will trim up partially, and then it stops. It will hold at the stopping point, and will trim down just fine. I am thinking (hoping) that it is just low on hydraulic fluid, but I don't know. I can't see a place to fill it, and the service manual was about as clear as muddy water since I can't see anything in the pictures the manual has. Any ideas or suggestions?

The yellow cap on the plastic reservoir the pump is mounted on.

Better yet, go to the link below, and type in your full model or serial number and download an owners manual and read it.

http://www.volvopenta.com/volvopent...lication_search/pages/publication_search.aspx

Always appreciate the help, Don, but I have read this over and over and over again. Those pictures do nothing for me. If I can't see the pictures in the book, how do i know what is what in the information I'm reading? I don't, because they have labeled photos that can't be made out for anything. Labeled fine and all, but if the label points to a spot on a large black blob with a white background, that could be absolutely anything.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade

On my boat (DP-SM) I have an overide button, because it has a "Safety Trim Limit Control" for dumb boat operators, it is the reason for the third wire in the trim sensor. If the button is not pressed at the same time as the trim up it will not go above +6 deg trim.

But we have no idea what engine you have, might just help if you included this.