trim assembly from 98 optimax fit 84 black max?

mwe-maxxowner

Master Chief Petty Officer
I have been having trouble with my trim unit on my 84 mercury black Max 150 xr2 ever since I replaced the trim motor. At this point I'm down to a new cartridge pump and seal kit for main cylinder and it'll work, but I don't know for sure. I have an opportunity to purchase a known working trim assembly from a '98 mercury optimax 150. He says it looks similar to pictures of my assembly. Its about an hour's drive to get to it, so I'd like to verify it is/isn't interchangeable? I can get it for 200$.

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: trim assembly from 98 optimax fit 84 black max?

Have you seen it?If its 3 ram system it will look similar.All you have to ask now if its 2 wire or 3 wire.Is refill cap at front or port side of unit.If that matches.....go for it.

mwe-maxxowner

I have only shown him mine, and he said it looks similar. I will of course have to see pics. If it is a two wire, can't that be remedied? When I bought my trim motor, some I saw were two wire, and said they had what was necessary to convert my setup to work with it. If the cartridge pump in his unit is the same, I could bolt it to my trim motor and use that in his working assembly.

I changed my trim motor, and after never could get the system to bleed. It would barely move up or down. And if I stood on the engine it almost worked correctly. I think I burnt the pump up trying and trying to get it to work while thinking it only needed to be bled. It seems a seal inside has gone to the bad. But inside the cylinder looks good, and I replaced those around the pump. I'm tired of chasing it, I don't know enough about it. I've wasted half the summer already.

His motor threw a rod, so he's selling for parts. I told him I'd exchange my trim assembly, so he could still sell the engine as a complete setup with repairable trim.

Is it certain the holes to bolt the ptt unit to my engine brackets will line up? I can drill more lol

mwe-maxxowner

Does anyone know if a 2 wire trim motor can be used on my engine that originally used a 3 wire motor? Is anything necessary to make it work? I would think the 2 wire motor doesn't have a ground wire, so seems to me I could hook up the down and up hot wires to the respective solenoids and it would work fine.