Any jet boaters out there.

SKEETR

Chief Petty Officer
I give up on this gutless turbojet hamster wheel. My hull is rated for 150hp so figuring a 25% loss for the jet pump that's a potential for a 200hp engine. I do not want a dragster but I do want a jetboat capable of 50-60 mph.
Still in the concept stage just trying to pick a few brains out there.
Would rather stick with a v6 rather than v8. Other than the 4.3 what other engines of that size can be modified for jetboats as far as available exhaust systems? No headers to be used. What is the best matching jet drive for a 200hp motor?
Also can I literally go to a junk yard and pull ignitions systems off of trucks or whatever to use for the build? I would like to go efi if possible as I often fish high altitude lakes as well as at sea level. Perhaps altitude will not be as much of an issue with more than twice the horses under the doghouse.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: Any jet boaters out there.

There are a few parts that need to be marine on an I/O motor, enclosed space, fuel vapors, and non-spark arrested non-marine rated parts (including ignition systems & alternators) may not play well together, regardless of the bilge vent fan...

This link may also prove interesting reading while you research re-powering

This link has a shorter description of the differences between marine & automotive engines

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Being capable of 50-60 mph will require a big block motor. There are some fine lines to cross when it comes to jet power and speed.

Yes, there are jet boats that fly but their purpose is speed and maintain handling. They are not fishing boats!

Where are you boating that you need a jet? Are you looking to fish, river race. or just pleasure? They are famous for being VERY thirsty regardless of what you use it for. The mounting of a jet on an outboard does take a bite out of power but it is designed for a purpose. So...... name your purpose.

Here is something that might surprise you. I am sure you have seen the specialty wake board/ski boats...... they normally have poor top speed for their motor. I have a friend with a Correct Craft Air Natique and he is no faster then my Starcarft 16' SS but he can pull more skiers.

Yamaha makes a twin engine ski/wakeboard boat but it is no speed demon.

SKEETR

Chief Petty Officer

So if I go with a big block say an ls aluminum v8 wouldn't that put me way above the hp threshold for my boat? Those things are like 400hp stock. How do they get away with that on other welded jetboats?