Trim / Tilt Hyrdaulic Cylinder Seal Kit Part # for 1993 Volvo Penta 230b

mshadof

Recruit
Hello. We have one leaking hydraulic cylinder on our boat. We have researched and realized that Volvo does not sell a seal repair or rebuild kit for these cylinders, but we have seen where the OMC seal kit has been used successfully instead. The problem is that I found 2 part numbers and not sure which one we need to get. There is 3854247 and 0985060. Can anyone advise on which would be the correct kit? Thanks!

RamSeals

Recruit
Re: Trim / Tilt Hyrdaulic Cylinder Seal Kit Part # for 1993 Volvo Penta 230b

Hello. We have one leaking hydraulic cylinder on our boat. We have researched and realized that Volvo does not sell a seal repair or rebuild kit for these cylinders, but we have seen where the OMC seal kit has been used successfully instead. The problem is that I found 2 part numbers and not sure which one we need to get. There is 3854247 and 0985060. Can anyone advise on which would be the correct kit? Thanks!

If you have the cylinders with the square caps, I sell a seal kit specifically for volvo penta that will fix the leak. Please see my ebay listing for more info: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-Penta..._Accessories_Gear&hash=item3a77b12752&vxp=mtr

mshadof

Recruit

It actually has a circular end cap, so that wouldn't work. I ordered the seal kit starting with the 9 and it did not work. We now have someone that works on repairing hyraulic cylinders looking at it. He is going to repair any seals that need be, put it back together and pressure test it for us, so hopefully we should be all good to go by the weekend. Thanks though!

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer

Did you get the problem fixed? I just found out today that I have a bad seal in a trim cylinder on a DP/c outdrive... gotta get a seal kit too. I just started looking and have not found the kit other than on ebay. Mine has the round caps. Just need to repair one cylinder.

mshadof

Recruit

We did get it fixed through the guy who works on hydraulic cylinders. He replaced any seals that needed to be, put it back together, filled it back up with fluid, pressure tested it, and painted it up nice and black again. All for $55. There is not a seal kit that works for my particular cylinder. I found that out after wasting the money on one... We also only had one to fix. Good luck!

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer

We did get it fixed through the guy who works on hydraulic cylinders. He replaced any seals that needed to be, put it back together, filled it back up with fluid, pressure tested it, and painted it up nice and black again. All for $55. There is not a seal kit that works for my particular cylinder. I found that out after wasting the money on one... We also only had one to fix. Good luck!

There are several hydraulic cylinder machine shops in my area. I had thought about that too when I saw the price for the kit. I just can't see paying $150 for a few o'rings and a seal. Kinda feels like price gouging tho' I know a guy's gotta make money. Of course, all this boat and jet ski stuff does get expensive.