Strange electrical issue intermittent at times

Bustedknuckle84

Chief Petty Officer
My t-top box has a radio and stereo in it also hooks up to the deck lights. The issue I have is the power will not come on until I have the motor running for about 5 minutes from cold start. And when I go wide open throttle for about 2 minutes the power cuts out to the t-top box for the radio, etc.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral
Re: Strange electrical issue intermittent at times

Has it always been like this? Can you get some good measurments from the radio? Volts and ground? I think that if this is on your 02 Cape Craft you may be looking at a voltage or ground issue due to the voltage output of the motor, something like the voltage first needs to charge to a point where the radio self protection allows power up, its no secret that outboards do not give a lot of extra voltage for accessories so its a possibility but to be honest I'm reaching here

Bustedknuckle84

Chief Petty Officer

no but the radio is equipped with a battery alarm which has yet to go off during the issues. Yes Its the boat in signature.

NYBo

Admiral

I'm going to guess you've got a corroded or slightly loose connection in the common feeds somewhere.

its no secret that outboards do not give a lot of extra voltage for accessories so its a possibility
Large, modern outboards have fairly substantial amperage from their alternators. The current 200 HP Honda, for example, has a 90-amp alternator rated for 60 amps to the battery.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

WOW I guess the stereotype is not always true after all! Thanks NYBo!

Ok then all you can do is get the DVM out and start measuring, do you have one? and do you know how to use it?

If you do not start the motor does the stereo ever turn on?

Bustedknuckle84

Chief Petty Officer

Yes i have a dvm, but that brings a good point, I'll have to check that out with the motor off. I dont believe it does though

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

yeah could be something there.

unplug your stereo, there should be a nice plug in the back of the stereo that unplugs all of your wiring.

Remember to measure your resistance from the stereo plug to the battery post, its ok to extend your DVM leads if needed but make sure to measure the resistance of the extension first, measure + and - sides including the ignition lead with the ignition on, I bet you find some interesting numbers, but you want to find 0 ohms, prayer sometimes helps but you make your own Karma in electrical!!