Flywheel

joenapier

Seaman
Before I stand on my head and count teeth, anyone tell me the size of my flywheel - 14" or 12.75"?

1985 Merc 260
Century Arabian

sharkin95

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Flywheel

In that year they had both flywheels 12 3/4 and 14, I think the 14" had the triangle shaped coupler and the 12 3/4" had the round coupler.

Bondo

Staff member

Before I stand on my head and count teeth, anyone tell me the size of my flywheel - 14" or 12.75"?

1985 Merc 260
Century Arabian

Ayuh,... The Starter is held on by 2 bolts, straight up from below,...

Reach under, 'n feel 'em,...
Straight across bolts is the 12" wheel, 'n the staggered bolts are the 14" flywheel...

joenapier

Seaman

Ayuh,... The Starter is held on by 2 bolts, straight up from below,...

Reach under, 'n feel 'em,...
Straight across bolts is the 12" wheel, 'n the staggered bolts are the 14" flywheel...

Here is the starter that was swamped with seawater. The bolt heads are staggered, but the mating surfaces are on plane. From your advice, this is for a 14" flywheel then.

IMG_0570.jpg

Here is my problem looking at the starter only - I know this is not original to the boat. Plus, this is an automotive starter.

Bond-o, if it was NOT the correct one, would it have worked OK? There were no shims or anything when I removed it.

Bondo

Staff member

Here is the starter that was swamped with seawater. The bolt heads are staggered, but the mating surfaces are on plane. From your advice, this is for a 14" flywheel then.

View attachment 161232

Here is my problem looking at the starter only - I know this is not original to the boat. Plus, this is an automotive starter.

Bond-o, if it was NOT the correct one, would it have worked OK? There were no shims or anything when I removed it.

Ayuh,.... There's 'bout 2" difference 'tween the staggered pattern, 'n straight... 1 can never work, where the other was...