Jon boat to Bass boat project with photos

Jonboat2Bassboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Converting an old Jon boat to a bass boat. Used angle aluminium to extend the front / rear decks and move the seats forward and lower them. Will use poly coated carpeted plywood panels for decks. Moved the console forward, added a new no feedback steering cable and steering wheel, sanded with 220 and will prime and paint next week. Then comes the rewiring, add solar panel to charge trolling motor, install the carpeted plywood iBoats 1.jpgiBoats 2.jpgiBoats 3.jpgiBoats 4.jpgiBoats 5.jpgpanels, then launch the boat just in time to take it out of the water. My advice to anyone doing an extensive rehab, START EARLY

halfmoa

Ensign
Re: Jon boat to Bass boat project with photos

Looks like a great start! Keep us updated!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Moved the console forward, added a new no feedback steering cable and steering wheel, sanded with 220 and will prime and paint next week. Then comes the rewiring, add solar panel to charge trolling motor,

Nice work....... a few suggestions

That is a modified V Jon boat and moving the console forward will slow your performance just a bit

If you sand to any bare aluminum be certain to prime it properly. There are the proper methods listed here http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=288451 item 10 among other great tips. I am old school and I use zinc chomate primer from Moellermarine.com and have not had any paint separation problems. I did try some SEM self etching primer and had some paint problems.... I fount the method in item 10 or zinc chromate the best ways with the past 6 aluminum boats I have done.

Paint is easy....... over a properly primed surface a good oil based enamel such as rustoleum or valspar will work fine. It's all in the prep and prime.

Rewire with ONLY marine grade pre-tinned wire or you will be doing it over and over since water corrodes wires deep inside the insulation and screws everything up. Wiring diagrams are available in the electrical section of the forum.

Hmmmmmm solar charger......nice thought but it will not keep up or re-charge a trolling motor battery as quickly as needed. Investigate that more and save your money ;)

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Nice job. The military uses Zinc Chromate as a primer for alum in their aircraft among other things. Just as Bob said, it works.

I noticed you took a seat out. It usually is part of your flotation. You really need to replace that flotation somehow. I know it will interfere with storage, but when you need it you will need it and it just may save your life. Think about it.

Mark

Jonboat2Bassboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Nice work....... a few suggestions

That is a modified V Jon boat and moving the console forward will slow your performance just a bit

If you sand to any bare aluminum be certain to prime it properly. There are the proper methods listed here http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=288451 item 10 among other great tips. I am old school and I use zinc chomate primer from Moellermarine.com and have not had any paint separation problems. I did try some SEM self etching primer and had some paint problems.... I fount the method in item 10 or zinc chromate the best ways with the past 6 aluminum boats I have done.

Paint is easy....... over a properly primed surface a good oil based enamel such as rustoleum or valspar will work fine. It's all in the prep and prime.

Rewire with ONLY marine grade pre-tinned wire or you will be doing it over and over since water corrodes wires deep inside the insulation and screws everything up. Wiring diagrams are available in the electrical section of the forum.

Hmmmmmm solar charger......nice thought but it will not keep up or re-charge a trolling motor battery as quickly as needed. Investigate that more and save your money ;)

Thanks. I am using two prep products for painting, Henkel Alodine 1201 and Alumiprep 33 most likely from the article here you referenced. Painting with marine primer and True Value's brand of Rustolium. Should be OK, I hope.

This is a 16 jonboat boat with a 40 HP Yamaha. Didn't know about losing a little performance by moving the console forward but it is a trade off. Did not want to continue using the factory bench seat as it was too high and not comfortable. My biggest concern is adding the weight of the plywood. Don't know how much the extra weight will affect performance but then I never go far or fast. We live on a 200 yard wide river in Maine with 17 miles of waterway but I have only gone the distance once or twice.

Marine wire? Never heard of it. What makes it marine wire besides tinning the ends? Are the copper strands coated or something. What about the aluminium crimp-on wire terminals? Should I get marine terminals or just solder the wires to the light and switches terminals?

The solar panel produces 12 VDC at 350MV. I usually only fish once or twice a week so thought the low current charge would top up the battery enough in a few days. The charger was only $25 at Lowes, on sale, normally $65.

Jonboat2Bassboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Nice job. The military uses Zinc Chromate as a primer for alum in their aircraft among other things. Just as Bob said, it works.

I noticed you took a seat out. It usually is part of your flotation. You really need to replace that flotation somehow. I know it will interfere with storage, but when you need it you will need it and it just may save your life. Think about it.

Mark

Thanks, using Henkel Alodine 1201 and Alumiprep 33 from an article posted here. Never had a second seat. The aluminium plates you see on the floor are patches for some storage compartments that came with the boat. Took them out to make for more walking around room and made storage compartments under the front extended deck. Am placing removable seats where the factory storage bins were that can be used for passengers or taken out and used as front and rear fishing seats. The driving and passenger seats will be mounted on swivel plates with storage under the seats but the seats are not removable.

Thanks for your comments.

Bob_VT

Staff member

Visit interstate battery store if you have one near you...... yes marine wire is tinned the full length not just the ends. Many electric start problems are corrosion inside the wires ...... the wires actually heat up and the resistance is way too high. Wiring in a boat is not soldered but crimped and that is the standard.

Good luck with the solar charger.

Jonboat2Bassboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: HVLP and paint additives

Do I need Marine wire for a boat that will only be on fresh water? Heard marine wire is fully tinned for protection from salt water.

Bob_VT

Staff member

Yes. It is marine wire due to harsh marine environments not specifically tinned but marine graded. It has a higher heat rating, less corrosive and more durable.

Post the internet site that claims it's only for salt water.