Fuel squirting out of carb throat when primer squeezed - after rebuild- Im stumped!

Larry3215

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I recently bought a 1986 70 hp Evinrude 3 cyl. Its been sitting for a while. It runs well wide open, but idle is a little rough, so I decided to clean/dunk the carbs and put new kits in. That went well except for #2 carb. When I pump the fuel bulb, gas foams up out of the bottom of the throat where the brass tube comes out.

It seems to come out of the throat before the bowl has time to fill. At least, there is almost no gas in the bowl when I take it apart.

Im quite certain I have the float level adjusted correctly. When I hold the carb upside down I cant blow air through it and I can when its right side up. I installed the new seat, new gasket and new float valves as well as new floats. All other gaskets are new. The carb bodies were soaked in carb cleaner and all passages cleaned with water then blown out with compressed air. I did not remove the sealed caps.

Ive taken the carb apart at least ten times today re-checking everything. I finally got frustrated and put the old float, seat and valve back in with no change in the leak. Then I took apart one of the other carbs that didnt leak and swapped all the float bowl parts between the two - the same carb still leaks. The carb that didnt leak before still doesnt leak even with the float, seat and valve from the crab that leaks.

The only thing I did differently with this carb from the others was I tried to remove the plastic plug that has an O-ring under it in the top part of the carb. It didnt want to come out so I left it alone for fear of breaking it off. I left them alone on the other carbs. Could Ihave messed that up and thats why its leaking? It doesnt look to me like that part of the carb has anything to do with fuel inlet though.

Anyway, Im stumped and would very much appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Larry3215

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Fuel squirting out of carb throat when primer squeezed - after rebuild- Im stumpe

One other note - I can hold the carb upside down and it doesnt leak and the fuel bulb gets nice and hard. As soon as I turn it right side up again, fuel squirts out at the same location.

Johny25

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Fuel squirting out of carb throat when primer squeezed - after rebuild- Im stumpe

The needle seat on the float is not sealing correctly. Either there is still crud in the orifice, the needle tip is worn, the float is not adjusted correctly or the float is not floating like it should.

Larry3215

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi Jony25. thanks for the reply!

The needle, seat, gaskets and floats are all brand new. Also new fuel and fuel lines from tank to carbs. Carbs were dunked in carb cleaner and blown clean. Ive inspected this one with a magnifying glass. There is no crud.

When I invert the carb and try to blow into it no air gets through, so the needle is sealing. The floats all float in fuel.

is there anything else that could cause this?

Larry3215

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Plus - I took ALL the parts from a working carb and put in this carb and it still leaks.

Johny25

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well the other thing may be that the O-ring on the float valve orifice is bad or the float valve orifice is not tight (cross threaded etc...) allowing fuel to bypass under pressure.

The last time my carb did this to me I had crud floating in my fuel from old fuel lines that had broken down. I would clean and adjust carb, put it on and it would leak again. Took me several times until I saw the really tiny particles that were plugging my needle seat/float valve orifice. I had to replace all lines and FLUSH the fuel system really good without the carb on.

Larry3215

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks again Johny, but I found the problem. Seems the screen on my bowl vent was clogged up. I finally noticed some fine white 'stuff' on the screen and checked and no air would pass. After cleaning it, the carb works fine now with no leaks!

Seems odd that the screen would clog up when dunked or that the carb would only start leaking after being cleaned.

In any case, it works now so Im happy!

Thanks again Johny!

Johny25

Petty Officer 1st Class

Huh I didn't realize there was a screen on those carbs in the bowl? Well glad you got it figured out, it usually is something pretty simple that we overlook huh :)