1987 225 gearcase full of water

crowebar

Seaman Apprentice
I just replace the water pump on my 1987 225 Evenrude and tested it and everything was great until I brought the boat back home from the lake and decided to change the gearcase oil. When I drained it there was more water then oil. I had noticed some oil leaking from one of the side drain holes when I was changing the water pump. guess I know why now. Changing the water pump was easy enough as no special tools were needed. Is replacing the seals pretty easy or is it time to take it to the shop. I'm pretty handy with tools but not a real mechanic.

Thanks,

crowebar

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1987 225 gearcase full of water

It was the drive shaft seals under the water pump. I picked up new ones and when I went to install them noticed that none were there! I didn't have to remove the old ones because they didn't exist. Just pressed the new ones in and put everything back together. Is it normal for these to be missing??? It has been like this for 10 years as I had a shop do a repair on my lower unit 10 years ago and I haven't touched it since. It is a ski boat and is only used a couple times a year in fresh water, but still, seems pretty incredible that everything is still good.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Also when you check the gear oil replace the seals for the plug every time.

crowebar

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks,
Hey when I picked up the new parts they gave me rubber o rings for the oil plug seals instead of the teflon ones that were on there. Are rubber o rings preferred now?

daselbee

Commander

Save my NIC here.....when you need a new lower unit, I have a very very nice one that I need to sell.

Seriously. Save my name.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The rubber orings were for a different type plug which was also used. You need the flat ones, part # 311598.