What is a rectifier? (electrical?)

roger56

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was reading some posts on electrical problems. One post said if you got your battery cables switched around you could blow the rectifier. What is it?

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: What is a rectifier? (electrical?)

Rectifier is what converts AC from the stator to DC for charging the battery. It may or may not be combined with a regulator.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I was reading some posts on electrical problems. One post said if you got your battery cables switched around you could blow the rectifier. What is it?

It is not a matter of "could" blow it. It WILL blow it. You cannot disconnect it fast enough to prevent it from happening.

roger56

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I do not believe this motor charges the battery It is a 59 johnson with electric start. It has lights and i think an electric choke. This is an old motor with very few extras. So I do not think this is an issue with my situation. My brother did get the cables switched around once but that has been corrected.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

On that mtr even if you did get the battery cables switched around the starter mtr would still turn in the same direction.

roger56

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So my brother is off the hook and did not blow anything up on this unit?

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer

So my brother is off the hook and did not blow anything up on this unit?

Not really! Take a meter and get a reading on the batt. Start motor and take a reading while motor is running. If your voltage is not higher with motor running it is not charging.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I do not believe this motor charges the battery It is a 59 johnson with electric start. It has lights and i think an electric choke. This is an old motor with very few extras. So I do not think this is an issue with my situation. My brother did get the cables switched around once but that has been corrected.

Well that changes the whole topic. A '59 35hp does not have a rectifier. So you didn't blow it. Neither does it charge the battery, UNLESS it has the optional accessory DC generator kit. If so, the generator sits opposite the starter motor and is belt driven.

roger56

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for info I will let my brother off the hook.