KEEL Damage Need Advice

Aspaguy

Seaman Apprentice
Hello Fellow Boaters,

I have a 1989 19ft Cuddy cabin Fiberglass Glastron boat. I am in the process of restoring this boat. I have replaced the transom, stringers, and bulkheads so far. I found an area of damage on the forward keel section. It is approx. 30 inches long and ranges about 1in wide to 2.5 in wide. Looks like damage from beaching. I tap tested the area and some delamination is present. I am looking for advice as how to best repair this damage. Thanks for any assistance. I have access to the inside as well. I will post some pics from the inside as well.

DSCF0139.jpgDSCF0140.jpgDSCF0141.jpgDSCF0142.jpgDSCF0144.jpg

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Re: KEEL Damage Need Advice

The holes that are drilled in there, I imagine were some kind of inspection holes???

OK, to repair the damage, starting on the inside...you need to grind out an area approximately 2-3 times as large as your black marker outlines...Create a dished area...clean the area really well with acetone...cut several progressively larger pieces of CSM and 1708...about 2-3 of each...use resin to wet them out and apply them...then repeat on the outside...the only additional step on the outside will be to fair the repair in and either re-gel-coat or paint to blend...

generalholerepair-1.png

Hope this helps...
GT1M

Aspaguy

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you GT1000000, the holes I drilled to mark the damage and see the delam. What about the outside? How do I repair the outside. It looks like the PO tried to fixed it but did not do a permanent job. Does this grind out also go for the outside using the same process?

Aspaguy

Seaman Apprentice

I just saw the answer to my question in GT1000000's post. Sorry

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Thank you GT1000000, the holes I drilled to mark the damage and see the delam. What about the outside? How do I repair the outside. It looks like the PO tried to fixed it but did not do a permanent job. Does this grind out also go for the outside using the same process?

Yes, same basic procedure...except for gravity...find a way using some kind of plastic sheeting or cardboard covered in wax paper to help you apply the layers of CSM and 1708...you might have to get creative...possibly using a bondo spreader against the plastic/wax paper-cardboard sheet...to remove all of the air bubbles, and work it for a few minutes until it starts to set up...then continue...

Hope I explained it OK, if not let me know...

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I have a 1989 19ft Cuddy cabin Fiberglass Glastron boat.

Sorry for your loss .. best bet is to get another 89 19' cuddly cabin glastron for a transplant.

The Spine has broken. Fixable yes .. but not something fixable over the net ( for me ). That is the Worst place for a breach of a boat.

You really need a pro to look at it. This kind of repair should only be handled by Pros.

Sorry I cannot help in this thread ( as much as I would like to help I cannot .. its a hands on repair/diagnosis ).

I hope you are getting the meaning of my post here Aspaguy ..

YD.

Aspaguy

Seaman Apprentice

I completed the inside repair of the damaged keel. I ground out the damaged area. I ground out around the area 3 times the size of the damage. I beveled the edges and cleaned it all with a good amount of acetone. I then laid in a wetted CSM, then 1708, then CSM, and one final 1708. This repair had me worried at first because it did not seem natural to cut open the damage. But I did and removed the delam section. This repair actually came out very good. I thank you GT1000000. Here are some pics of the repair. But Yacht Dr. has confused me. I dont think he meant this boat.
damage fiberglassed.jpgDamage grind out.jpgdamage repaired inside.jpg

Aspaguy

Seaman Apprentice

By the way, I am going to do the outside repair of this damage tomorrow and will post pics as to how it went. Thanks for the advice on the gravity piece. I will figure something out with the ideas you gave me.

Aspaguy

Seaman Apprentice

GT1000000, I posted some pics of the repair and I appreciate your help.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I completed the inside repair of the damaged keel. I ground out the damaged area. I ground out around the area 3 times the size of the damage. I beveled the edges and cleaned it all with a good amount of acetone. I then laid in a wetted CSM, then 1708, then CSM, and one final 1708. This repair had me worried at first because it did not seem natural to cut open the damage. But I did and removed the delam section. This repair actually came out very good. I thank you GT1000000. Here are some pics of the repair. But Yacht Dr. has confused me. I dont think he meant this boat.

Im not confused .. yup.. this boat..this repair.

Does not look like 1708 to me ..

Again.. I can not help on this repair .. sorry ..

YD.

Aspaguy

Seaman Apprentice

Yacht Dr. could you explain why you say this boat is beyond repair? The only damage is on the forward part of the keel. It this boat is not buckled anywhere. This look like damage that you get when you run it up on a beach. I only posted this repair help 2 days ago. The rest of the bottom of the boat shows not signs or evidence of damage.

Aspaguy

Seaman Apprentice

Yacht Dr. there was another post started by mahones on July 22nd where he bought a 1988 boat with gelcoat cracks throughout the hull of his boat. It was suggested he get another boat. I saw this as I was looking for information on my keel repair.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Yacht Dr. could you explain why you say this boat is beyond repair?

I never said it was beyond repair .. I strongly suggested ( and still do ) to take it to a Pro for inspection and advice. This kind of repair is Technical .. not the run of the mil crack in the side of the boat kinda repair.

This look like damage that you get when you run it up on a beach.

It may Look it.. but its not the same kind of repair ( Unless run it on the beach means with rocks at 15 knots ). Its impact/sheer damage right on the Spine of the boat.

Dont get me wrong here .. Im sure you could fix it correctly. However its just kinda complicated with me when it comes down to Fixing it Right when the repair can be structurally unsound in ONE application of glass. Im here .. your there .. there is no hands on with me to you.

Thats why I suggested you have it looked at from a professional point of view to get you to understand how Important this repair is.

Its Not intended to be a "you cant do this yourself" kinda thing .. its more like " I would prefer to be there with you doing this repair " thing. And I cant. So .. I have to leave myself out of the thread.

No disrespect to you or anyone else. But please at least take it to a Pro after your done ( with pics ) and show them what you did.

YD.