AQ140 Timing Belt Tensioner spring won't budge.

jonmciver

Recruit
I'm working on a friends AQ140. I have the Seloc manual. I read the portion on removal and reinstallation of the timing belt tensioner. It says to use channel locks, but it's very unspecific HOW to use them.

I managed to slip the belt off without relieving pressure on the tensioner, but need to reinstall the timing belt to get this thing running.

Can someone help me out? Am I supposed to use them to compress the spring? Any tips? The tensioner assembly rolls freely, but I can't get that spring to move for the life of me. There is corrosion on the spring assy, but it is still in one piece.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Jon

skeat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: AQ140 Timing Belt Tensioner spring won't budge.

there is a small hole in the tensioner underneath the spring. I used a large screwdriver (put something between the wheel and the screwdriver to avoid scratching it), wedged against the block for leverage, to push back the wheel and compress the spring, you will then be able to slide a nail through that hole underneath the retainer. this will make it possible to slide the belt on, after turning the engine clockwise a couple of times to make sure the belt is installed correctly and tight you can then pull out the nail to relase the spring and tension the belt.

jonmciver

Recruit

there is a small hole in the tensioner underneath the spring. I used a large screwdriver (put something between the wheel and the screwdriver to avoid scratching it), wedged against the block for leverage, to push back the wheel and compress the spring, you will then be able to slide a nail through that hole underneath the retainer. this will make it possible to slide the belt on, after turning the engine clockwise a couple of times to make sure the belt is installed correctly and tight you can then pull out the nail to relase the spring and tension the belt.

Thanks- I can kinda see the whole, but I couldn't figure out how to compress that spring. I'll give it a try.
Jon

jonmciver

Recruit

Thanks for the reminder, Don S. I had looked through them, and done a forum search. Didn't realize I was looking too specifically. That OEM manual is gold. (It has pictures:p)
Thanks all.