NGK sparkplugs/champion sparkplugs for 1988 evinrude 48 spl

mrfishy34

Cadet
just wondering what plugs are for this motor? i have the QL78YC CHAMPION plugs in it, but would like to go with a NGK plug (had way better luck on my other 2 cycle motors with these). i did find in the champion book other plugs for this motor as well so i just wanted to make sure the ones in it are correct (just bought boat). i did a cross reference on plugs(since i could not find recommended ngk plugs for this motor) from QL78YC and i got NGK BPR8HS. just wanted to double check before changing brands so i dont wreck my engine.

Thanks

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: NGK sparkplugs/champion sparkplugs for 1988 evinrude 48 spl

JohnnyRudes were all designed to exactly match Champion plugs. I am not certain which Champion plugs are exactly right for your 48SPL, but am sure that the QL78YC are okay. Gap them at .030"

Beware of spark plug application and cross reference charts. Many of them are loaded with errors.

Haffiman

Commander

Never use any plugs with 'R' in the spec on any Evinrude/Johnson engine unless you want to kill your ignition system. Evinrude/Johnson use suppressor plugs and not resistor plugs.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

that motor's ignition system uses an inductive suppressor inside the sparkplug, not a resistor. That is why the Q in the part number. NGK has equivalent plugs with a Z in the number, however these plugs cost over $6 apiece compared to the correct factory approved Champion plug that is only $3.95 apiece. So which one do you want to use?

mrfishy34

Cadet

think ill just stick with what is in it, seems to run good, if it aint broke dont fix it haha. just needed some spare plugs and always run ngk but im gonna stick with champion on my boat. thanks guys