I need help identifying my MFG, I have the serial number.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have rebuilt this boat, including rebuilding my first transom. I would like to know the year, make and model if anyone knows what it is.

The serial number is X-3624

Here is a link to the pictures I have taken of its restoration.

http://sdrv.ms/P05AZX

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Thaddeus

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Re: I need help identifying my MFG, I have the serial number.

Welcome Thaddeus !
What a wonderful restore job you have done . Looking at the before and after pics it's like night and day ! Looks like the youngun's are ready for a boat ride !LOL! Have you splashed it yet?
Maybe some of the other guys can help with the yr and model ..
Well done !
S.P.

Thank you for the awesome compliment!!! No, I have not put it in the water yet. I hope too this week after changing the rectifier and timing belt on the motor. The splash is coming soon!

SteveMFG_Oxford

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Thad

If I were to GUESS, and I am guessing, I would say you have a 1962 Westfield.

Why? Well if it's 17 ft. that leaves out Niagara. Looks like you have a curved transom and from what I can tell and I think the Westfields did too. A key to the year may be the windshield. 1962 had a solid windshield from what I saw in ads. Later years had a vent in the windshield.

Another reason I say '62 is that your forward deck pattern is identical to my '61 Oxford. Very possible that to save money they copied the '61 deck style onto a '62 model. A difference is that a little "step" was created at the windshield to keep water from rolling under and possibly to extend the deck length for a 17 footer..

My deck is flat there ('61 Oxford) and the rather ineffective windshield gasket allows water to run under the windshield and into the cockpit. On yours water gets diverted by that raised area. To some extent you have removed this effect by applying the layer of wood on top of the deck.

You've done a stellar job on your restoration. You have a boat you'll be proud to own for many years! I'm sure it will be a topic of conversation wherever you go with it.

Congrats! I'm sure you are excited to get it on the water.

My advice, As the "proud PaPa" you will be very conscious of getting it scratched. Get comfortable with the dings. Your kids will ding it, the dock will ding it, YOU will ding it! It's gonna happen. Just use it and enjoy it! It's only paint!

I scraped mine the 2nd time out.

Steve! Thank you very much for taking the time to explain all of that. Furthermore, thank you for the very fine compliments!

So to tell a little bit about her. As you can see from the before and after pictures I am not completely sticking to the original MFG design. For 2 reasons, first a windshield was not on the boat when I got it and I have decided that I am going to make a custom wood framed windshield for it this winter. Second, I am the kind of guy that likes to do things thoroughly, but do them thoroughly “my” way. In this case the wood is my ‘signature’ to making her a unique boat.

I am naming her “The Great American deal” because of the way I acquired her. I’ll tell you why after the story…

I had replaced my 1952 ford lawn tractor which had a blown head gasket (but still ran), bent mowing deck and weak transmission with a brand new John Deere. So I put the Ford on the lawn with a $200.00 sign on it thinking I would be lucky if I got $50.00 for it if not paying someone to take it away! A young kid pulls in the yard with this boat. It had a 5 ? HP Johnson on it with 3 brand new seats, 2 nice condition metal Johnson gas cans, a brand new tarp and 2 new tires for the trailer. He wants to trade even. I was thinking ‘this is my lucky day!’ So I held back my excitement and pretended to scrutinize the boat, as if my tractor was worth anything. Well you can tell by the pictures that it had the worst hand paint job ever seen, black rubberized undercoat sprayed everywhere (one of the reasons for the wood on the bow) and improperly mixed maroon enamel paint that had never fully hardened (made sanding it really fun…).

So I had the Merc sitting in the garage, and I said “Ya! You got a deal!” So we unhooked the boat and loaded the tractor and away he went…

I back her in garage, clean her out, rig up the Tower of Power and set it on the transom…. Which began to crack, bow out, pull in the sides until the bottom of the motor hit the floor! I scratched my head and began to redefine the definition of swearing repeatedly. I put the Merc back on her stand, went into the house and got drunk. So after that I decided to lick my wounds and make her water worthy. It didn’t take long before I decided to take the effort of ‘water worthy’ to a full rebuild and have a great boat for Lake Champlain.

So why did I decide to call her “The Great American Deal”? Because when we traded the boat for the tractor…. We both thought we got a great deal for ourselves and SCREWED the other guy!!! LOL!!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

That was a good story ! Kind of a long name to paint on her..LOL ! But do you have a title for it ?

No, VT will not title anything over 15 years old.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

Sweet stuff!
So where are you physically at exactly and how far til you launch? I fish out of Charlotte a lot and think it would be a cool thing to have a Champlain MFG Day...

As of Saturday morning 8/4/12, I only have the seats to install, the steering coupler the manufacture and a few odds and ends to finish up on, then I will test her at Wriesville dam, If all goes well there I will regisiter her (ya I know I should be registered first, but its a test run) and try for Champlain next weekend!

SteveMFG_Oxford

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't forget your camera! We want to see it float!

I hope to video it! BTW: check the link, there are new pictures up and when I video it, the vid will be posted there as well.

woosterken

Lieutenant

wow!! thats a beaut :)
if you cant make it yours , why bother make it at all

ken

Status
Not open for further replies.