cooking on boat

badbowtie

Chief Petty Officer
I am planinng on cooking tomorrow while we are on the water just can not afford a grill for the side of the boat this year so it will have to wait. I have a 25' cruiser that has a alcohol stove down in the cabin but have never tried it, cannot even say if it works or how to try it or what is needed. I am not sure if I should figure out how to use it or if I should buy like a 2 burner 1lb propane burner stove and use it. Not sure what is safer to use.

soggy_feet

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: cooking on boat

Alcohol is safer how?

My houseboat was already using propane for the stove, so I've stuck with that for everything, including the little grill with the sturdy base and the 1lb tank

badbowtie

Chief Petty Officer

Well I am going to go down and see if I can find a model number or something somewere I just have been searching around and seen were people are saying something about seals leaking not sure how to check this.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Alcohol is safer how?

My houseboat was already using propane for the stove, so I've stuck with that for everything, including the little grill with the sturdy base and the 1lb tank

Alcohol is safer in his case because that's how his boat is already equipped. He was thinking about using a propane camp stove, which would require some kind of ventilation. It probably would be fine any way since he could just open a door or window, but in your case ventilation must have been accounted for already since that's how your boat was equipped. Didn't mean to imply propane was unsafe. What would Hank Hill say????!!!!!!

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Here is what I found with our alcohol stove, since the boat and stove are from 1985 there will be a good chance the O-rings are dried out (ours were)
With our alcohol stove you fill the tank and pump it up, release a little into the burner and shut it down, light the fuel, this heats up the generator and allows the alcohol to turn from a liquid to a vapour.
Slowly turn on the knob till you see a blue flame appear "Look out for flare ups", as well listen for escaping fuel as this will flare up big time.

Honestly I want to convert to propane, just have to mount a stove that will fit, run a "1" piece line back to an area that will have the tank over the side of the boat.

bobdec

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Had on in my older Bayliner, worked great. Prior to first use after buying the boat, I pulled the stove and tested it, and my operating skills, pressurizing, lighting and extinguishing at home in my driveway. Flames, and the inside of boats, are opposite thoughts in my brain, so I wanted to make sure it and me were operating correctly first.

soggy_feet

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Alcohol is safer in his case because that's how his boat is already equipped. He was thinking about using a propane camp stove, which would require some kind of ventilation. It probably would be fine any way since he could just open a door or window, but in your case ventilation must have been accounted for already since that's how your boat was equipped. Didn't mean to imply propane was unsafe. What would Hank Hill say????!!!!!!

My boat was built in 1970 and wasn't really engineered for anything. I think the plans were to pump a bunch out while the houseboat market was good, and in 15 years when it died, they'd be scuttled or something. Walls were plywood construction with stapled seams... no framing... until I tore into it and reinforced/framed everything. I doubt ventilation was really considered all that much... BUT...
what I do have going for me, now that Im thinking about it, is 1456 cu. ft. of volume in the cabin, and that might be all I need. No more dangerous than cooking dinner in a single wide trailer.
Wasn't calling your comment an attack on propane, was just mentioning what I use, and asking what the deal was with alcohol stoves, since I've seen plenty of them, but nobody ever bothering to use them.

BTW, still installing pieces, but my boat is a model for all your propane, and propane accessory needs.
I have:
Propane stove
Two propane wall lanterns
Propane "on demand" hot water
A propane refrigerator
Propane forced air furnace
Propane grill
Propane fire pit/chimnia (I can't really explain it, I'll have to just get pics once I finish assembling it)

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Awesome. Do you have a thread over in Resto?

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Here is what I found with our alcohol stove, since the boat and stove are from 1985 there will be a good chance the O-rings are dried out (ours were)

Bingo. I was about to bring that up. The OP needs to figure out whether he has a pressurized or non-pressurized stove, first. And the brand. If it's Kenyon he's lucky, 'cause a quick call to their offices in CT can tell him everything he needs to know. Their customer service is fantastic.

I have an electric-alcohol (non-pressurized) 2-burner stove and we use it. I also carry a one-burner propane stove that I use in the cockpit sometimes.

badbowtie

Chief Petty Officer

I do have a kenyon model 406 found the manual I am guessing it is a pressurized stove. I never did get to even really try it or anything today like I wanted to before we go out tomorrow still have to find alcohol to even try it.

Justym21

Cadet

Alcohol is one of the lower btu producing fuel types which in some regards is good since you won't have extra BTUs going around heating up what's around your stove. Of course that means longer cook times. Also alcohol is one of the few fuels that is ok to put out with water.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I do have a kenyon model 406 found the manual I am guessing it is a pressurized stove. I never did get to even really try it or anything today like I wanted to before we go out tomorrow still have to find alcohol to even try it.

Start here for an owners manual and parts breakdown:

http://kenyonappliances.com/pages/parts-list-manuals-for-discontinued-stoves

Then give Kenyon in CT a call for any replacement parts or operations advice you need:

P: (860) 664-4906
F: (860) 664-4907

It's a great company. American vet owned and super, super helpful people. You'll absolutely get solid advice and whatever parts should be replaced. If you haven't guessed, they've helped me out several times...

Finally, S-L-X Denatured Alcohol is sold by the quart and gallon at Home Depot and Lowe's paint departments. It's formulated for marine stoves and works fine.

Good luck!