starter solenoids...

soggy_feet

Senior Chief Petty Officer
This is the merc starter solenoid that I need to replace on my boat
http://www.iboats.com/Starter-Solen...27.1973--session_id.629814383--view_id.172047

It looks just like any other starter solenoid off any other old engine.

Whats stopping me from just pulling one at the junk yard for $4? Is this actually a 'marine' product?

Current 'noid pooped out on me, so when i want to move the houseboat, I've been starting it with a wrench bridged across the terminals, but thats a PITA. ;)

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: starter solenoids...

marine parts are shielded to prevent a BOOM in the event you have fuel vapors in the bilge. buy the right part and go boating.

hoot

Chief Petty Officer

Pull your solenoid apart and check the contact washer and backs of the post. On some, these post can be rotated 180 degrees and reused. The washer can be cleaned up if corroded.

Bondo

Staff member

This is the merc starter solenoid that I need to replace on my boat
http://www.iboats.com/Starter-Solen...27.1973--session_id.629814383--view_id.172047

It looks just like any other starter solenoid off any other old engine.

Whats stopping me from just pulling one at the junk yard for $4? Is this actually a 'marine' product?

Current 'noid pooped out on me, so when i want to move the houseboat, I've been starting it with a wrench bridged across the terminals, but thats a PITA. ;)

Ayuh,.... Makes alota sense to go pick up somebody else's Junk for $4.bucks, when the New replacement parts is a budget bustin', woppin' $16.00....

bigred69

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have to agree with Bond-o. $16 is cheep.

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You can use junk yard parts but DON'T LOSE THAT SCREWDRIVER!!!

soggy_feet

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I carry a fully loaded tool chest on the boat. There's ALWAYS a screwdriver.

Not because I do things like replace parts with junkyard parts, but because I do things like load my quad/outboard(s)/motorcycle on the bow, and totally disassemble, repair/replace, reassemble as needed.

Thank you hoot, I'll (see paragraph above), and see if it's serviceable or not.