Beaching boat

BigDave13

Cadet
I will be heading to Laughlin NV in a couple of weeks for the 2012 reggatta. It's been a few years that I've been there but never for the reggatta. I understand they close the river on the day of the reggatta. I remember seeing alot of jet skies but not too many boats. I do remember struggling with my seadoo's trying to keep them from banging into each other due to wakes and fast current. This year I will be taking my 22' boat for the first time and am concerned about beaching it on the river? Also, I've heard shorelines are pretty rough on the keel due to rocky shoreline. Heard some spots are pretty shallow too and don't want any damage to my prop. Would like some input on some of u experienced boaters if it's worth even putting my boat on the river or take it to the lake close by instead. Or any experiences you have had in the past. Would really appreciate it.

StitchSC

Cadet
Re: Beaching boat

WOW, that was some constructive help (even though i can't entirely disagree).....

if it were my boat, I would anchor it / tie it off to a rock on shore in 4-6 feet of water. Butt facing the beach with 1 anchor, one off the bow. No way i'm beaching on rocks and waves that would toss her around. And go VERY VERY VERY slow approaching the anchoring point.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

+1 on anchoring out a little bit from shore. Anchor off the bow, take a stern line with you and tie off on the beach.

Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class

Talk about a "here's your sign" moment, and yet I offended you for not giving constructive help? OK.
As I also stated, I kept my mouth shut from saying what was really going thru my mind. I frequent a Harley forum and if you think I was being anything but kind,,,,,,,you wouldn't last 1 second there. That's the difference in forums/owners.
I was also a member on a Yamaha forum and when I called Michael Jackson a child molesting ******, I nearly got kicked off the Yamaha forum, but at the Harley forum, I was the nicest guy there and calling him a child molesting ****** was the mildest name he got "described" as being.
Go figure.
And if I hurt anyones feelings, my bad.

If you want to rough him up for not knowing what he's doing, fine. But at least try to point him in the right direction. There's no reason to be a turd for the sake of being a turd.

OP - I'd forget beaching especially if it's a known rocky shore. I never beach my boat unless I'm familiar with the area and I know it's a soft sand or mud bottom. Take it slow, navigate only in the channel, and anchor outside the channel but a good distance from the shoreline to avoid the rocks.

scott8058

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was gonna say.....first what is the bottom like? We boat in the illinois river and there are plenty of beaches and sandbars that we beach on. If the currents as fast as you say anchoring off shore would be a pain and make it hard to get back into i would think. If the bottom is nice and sandy trim ur motor way up and come in real slow, or sometimes i kill it and jump out in 2 ft of water and pull it up w a rope.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you want to rough him up for not knowing what he's doing, fine. But at least try to point him in the right direction. There's no reason to be a turd for the sake of being a turd...

X2 on that.

I also fail to see the logic in comparing this forum to Harley forum and the Yamaha forum, however I'm not surprised at all that you "nearly" got kicked off the Yamaha forum.

To the OP, do what others suggest which is to protect your boat by anchoring off shore a bit and staying away from rocks.

bnicov

Petty Officer 1st Class

We try to be helpful on this forum. Snarky remarks should be witheld. The guy is asking for our help, not smarty pants remarks. You've apologized like a grownup and lets move on.
As for the OP, I'd back in slowly, drop the anchor off the bow and swim or walk a line to shore to tie off to something relatively solid ie a good sized rock or a tree.

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

I would anchor off shore as well with the rope secured to the front and have a second line to shore. If nothing exists to secure it to on shore use a ground anchor and screw it into the ground, that is what I do. Or use two anchors. I have done both.

Water logged

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just remember that you will have a stiff current and be sure to set your anchor with the proper ratio of rode out. A poorly set anchor will not hold long in Laughlan's current.

Glenn

BigDave13

Cadet

Thanks again guys for all your help. I plan on anchoring off shore with a box anchor on the bow eye and a slide anchor on shore. im thinkin bout throwing anchor a few yards from shore and back in boat so bow is facing water and aft end towards shore. this way I can lay down enough line for box anchor as Glen mentioned. Since im on the subject of anchoring ive noticed some boats have a small buoy on the bow end of the line. I imagine its used as a marker so other boats dont park in your spot. I purchased one but not sure how far from the line and how to attach it to the bow. How does it stay put without it floating into someone elses prop. im really greatful for this site ive been a reader for so long and find this forum very helpfu. it helps me catch any mistakes before having any problems out on the water. I understand there is proper boating etiquette and as a newbie its good to know theres alot of helpful more experienced boaters who will give me good advise. Anyways if i missed something please let me know