Yellow flakes in carb filter

JackBruner

Recruit
I have a 1984 Chaparral 198 XL runabout. This spring when I went out for the first time the boat engine bogged out. I got it back to the marina and the tech said that he figured it was ignition. So he replaced the rotor and cap. To no avail. When he looked at the boat a second time he found a bunch of yellow flakes in the carb filter. He replaced carb filter and water separator and said he wet tested the boat and she ran fine. I go out a second time and she boggs out completely and Im stranded. So I call him back and he comes out to get me and he finds more yellow flakes in the carb filter and water in the separator. So he drains gas and rebuilds carb! Runs boat from a different fuel source and she runs great! Now, after draining gas the tech tells me that he is only 75% convinced that the tank is clean due to it has baffles in the middle and he can not see the entire tank. Nor does he refill tank and wet test again. Tells me that in order to fix problem the tank must come out and be cleaned. This is a huge job, and floor boards must be cut! So this is my question, Can I clean the tank with some kind of solution within the boat without having to cut and rip out tank?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Yellow flakes in carb filter

I had a similar problem this year with the gray silicone fuel line that Merc/Quicksilver sells. I had them in everything from the inlet to the squeeze bulb (outboard engine) on and into the fuel filter preceding the carbs.

I tore the whole thing apart and inspected everything and the best assessment I have is that the fuel/additives attacked the silicon fuel line and caused this stuff. I find that difficult to digest in that silicon fuel lines, especially OEM approved should be immune to chemicals......but it was there and it didn't come from the tank. Gun was still smoking!!!!!

Well the tank was plastic, but spotless so it wasn't something growing in there. I went to Lowes and bought some clear pvc tubing in their plumbing department and plumbed the whole fuel line where I could see what was happening. I put on a new bulb and new fuel filter. Flushed out the whole line till I got clear fuel with no "stuff". No more problems and it has been over 6 months and the pvc fuel line is holding up just fine. I tried to www the line and see what it's specs were but couldn't find any data.

I will continue to monitor it's integrity but I will not have a fuel line again that I can't look into and see what is going through it.

Mark

cr2k

Captain

You don't have a silicone fuel line. If you did it would have melted in the first season. Silicone is NOT rated for gasoline.

My guess is the yellow flakes are what is left after the alcohol has dried the moisture out of the gas and left the rust deposits or has attacked any plastic in the tank like the float.
Would get my money back for the cap and rotor, put another fuel sep in parallel not series.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

With what your tech did - he stirred up some crap that got into you carb. Clean it.

As to the tank - it does not have to be removed. Go to the Search and look-up fuel polishing. It is a service that will clean the crud in the fuel. Finally get some new water seperators/fuel filters.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

You don't have a silicone fuel line. If you did it would have melted in the first season. Silicone is NOT rated for gasoline.

Well it was grey and slick like silicon. I never had a rubber that color or that slick. It had no reinforcing mesh like rubber hoses have. Had a Quicksilver spec on it. So what was it?

On mine, when I saw what I saw, tank crud was my first question. My tank is plastic and made by a brand name tank builder....forget the name but looked them up on the www and are used on many OEM boats with built in tanks. I inspected it and it was clean as a whistle. So, it had to either come from the fuel line or the fuel. I cut the line longways and opened it up to see if I could see some deterioration. Inside was rough but didn't look cancerous. My boat will sit for a month at a time without use and in that time the fuel bleeds back into the tank. Evaporation could be the source.

I'll know now as with the PVC line I can see what's in it. It's been on for about 6 months now and the fuel is clear with the blue oil tint...no crud. Same tank and amenities. No problems so far with the PVC. I guess it's PVC. Might be Tygon. Still like new.

Mark

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Well it was grey and slick like silicon. I never had a rubber that color or that slick. It had no reinforcing mesh like rubber hoses have. Had a Quicksilver spec on it. So what was it?

On mine, when I saw what I saw, tank crud was my first question. My tank is plastic and made by a brand name tank builder....forget the name but looked them up on the www and are used on many OEM boats with built in tanks. I inspected it and it was clean as a whistle. So, it had to either come from the fuel line or the fuel. I cut the line longways and opened it up to see if I could see some deterioration. Inside was rough but didn't look cancerous. My boat will sit for a month at a time without use and in that time the fuel bleeds back into the tank. Evaporation could be the source.

I'll know now as with the PVC line I can see what's in it. It's been on for about 6 months now and the fuel is clear with the blue oil tint...no crud. Same tank and amenities. No problems so far with the PVC. I guess it's PVC. Might be Tygon. Still like new.

Mark

Was surfing last night and came across some replacement Merc hose assemblies said to resist "ethanol". Hmmmmm is there a message here concerning the old Merc fuel lines? I'm convinced that the flakes were from the fuel line and haven't had any since I replaced it having made no changes to the fuel tank or the fuel/mixtures in it and as stated, that was 6 months ago.

And I was on a BMW after market site and they were offering silicon hoses for a lot of things, but they did say to not use if for petroleum products....hence for a fuel line. Ok. So now I'm educated. It wasn't silicon but some kind of polymer that apparently couldn't resist alcohol.

Mark

NHGuy

Captain

Tmark, If I understand you there is clear line on your fuel supply that's not rated for fuel.
Please remove that stuff and put on fuel rated line, we want to keep hearing from you.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Tmark, If I understand you there is clear line on your fuel supply that's not rated for fuel.
Please remove that stuff and put on fuel rated line, we want to keep hearing from you.

Thanks man for your kind words. I am aware of the potential dangers and as a result keep close vigilance on the line. I made a significant effort to get some spec number so that I could research it's likes and dislikes and found none. I don't know that it's not rated for fuel. After 6 months, with firmness contained, and no signs of dissolved solids in the gas in the line, I think it tolerates it. My tank is right under my engine and have a easily accessed short run of it. I check my equipment before I go out to prevent surprises....like a dead battery for one, or a deteriorating fuel line for two.

Again, Thanks,
Mark