Oil light

MJS

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Oil light stays on. Took it to shop and they said sensor was bad and ordered a new one, told me it would be fine as long as I knew there was oil in it keep using it until the new one came in. Two weeks later new one comes in and I replace it and light is still on. I haven't had the boat long and am wanting to change the oil but don't know if it's ever been done before. If it hasn't been changed recently would that trip the light? Or what else? I didn't know it was on until I discovered the wire to the light had been disconnected and I put it back together but I'm reconsidering that move now.

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Oil light

What make/model/serial? Install a real mechanical gauge temporarily to determine the actual oil pressure. If the actual pressure is low, you need to diagnose and repair that. If the pressure is OK, you will need to diagnose the sender and lamp circuit.

No, needing an oil change will not significantly lower the oil pressure... unless you have um-pumpable sludge for oil :)

MJS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The oil looks ok and clean/transparent. I have a temp gauge on the console that checks out ok so it's not overheating. I'll have to look at the model and serial tonight.

MJS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The light comes on bright and dims to about half brightness after a few seconds but doesn't go off.

pvanv

Admiral

Nissan:facepalm:

nsf18b2

What does the mechanical gauge test show? If the oil pressure is definitely OK, and there isn't any junk restricting the pressure sensing port, then there is an issue with the indicator light circuit. But you must test the actual pressure to confirm that.

As Elvin mentioned, if you confirm good pressure, your light is defective... could be a bad ground (or damaged sender wire) or the sender itself or CD is at fault.

MJS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't have a gauge. I'll have to find one

pvanv

Admiral

If you don't find one locally, you can get the Factory kit: Part # 99998PRKIT, $84.98, from any dealer, including me. Use to verify oil pressure. Comes with all necessary fittings and pressure gauge. Can be used with extension hose (Part # 99998PHOSE) for easier access to engine block.

petergurski

Recruit

i am having the a similiar problem with my bf 130 honda. the oil and battery lights stay on bright red, but my engine really drags like the battery is dead. if i take the plugs out and turn it over, the motor will spin faster, but not as fast as it should. Do you think this is a bad ground somewhere....? any help would be greatly appreciated.....thanks peter

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Could be too much oil in the crankcase or binding due to a bad bearing or stuck rings. Might be a weak battery, bad ground or a bad battery cable.

MJS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you don't find one locally, you can get the Factory kit: Part # 99998PRKIT, $84.98, from any dealer, including me. Use to verify oil pressure. Comes with all necessary fittings and pressure gauge. Can be used with extension hose (Part # 99998PHOSE) for easier access to engine block.
Is that a gauge to test with or in dash gauge to add to display?

petergurski

Recruit

thanks for the response. i did have some oil coming out of the #4 cyclinder. I took all the plugs out and the flywheel seems to spin normal by hand with the plugs out and does turn over better when I turn the key. I put the plugs back in and now I am back to the same result, a lot of drag. I have not had this motor in the water yet. looks like the guy i bought it from changed the oil (nice and clean ) and the lower unit oil ( nice and clean ). Is is possible that he put to much oil in the motor and it is over full and creating this drag. I checked the dip stick and it is way over the full mark. I am thinking that is why I had oil in that spark plug hole..??????? VERY FRUSTRATING to say the least.

MJS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks for the response. i did have some oil coming out of the #4 cyclinder. I took all the plugs out and the flywheel seems to spin normal by hand with the plugs out and does turn over better when I turn the key. I put the plugs back in and now I am back to the same result, a lot of drag. I have not had this motor in the water yet. looks like the guy i bought it from changed the oil (nice and clean ) and the lower unit oil ( nice and clean ). Is is possible that he put to much oil in the motor and it is over full and creating this drag. I checked the dip stick and it is way over the full mark. I am thinking that is why I had oil in that spark plug hole..??????? VERY FRUSTRATING to say the least.
Drain alittle oil out if it's too full. Before you spend too much time on it clean the terminals on the battery with sandpaper and the battery cables. I've had them to look just fine but they were still restricting the electricity because of a little tarnish on the brass and oxidation on the lead. Clean it until it shines then report back.