1986 Merc 5.0.....what's the diff between Tilt and Trim?

clattin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Total newbie question here.....I'm waiting on my manual from Mercruiser and I'm sure it will answer this question.

What's the difference between Tilt and Trim? My gear selector has a tilt button on one side of the handle and a Trim button on the other side. I always thought they were the same thing except you called it Tilt if you were bring the engine all the way up or down and Trim if you were using it to trim the lower unit while cruising.

Thanks!
Chris

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1986 Merc 5.0.....what's the diff between Tilt and Trim?

Total newbie question here.....I'm waiting on my manual from Mercruiser and I'm sure it will answer this question.

What's the difference between Tilt and Trim? My gear selector has a tilt button on one side of the handle and a Trim button on the other side. I always thought they were the same thing except you called it Tilt if you were bring the engine all the way up or down and Trim if you were using it to trim the lower unit while cruising.

Thanks!
Chris

Ayuh,... It's Trim til the limit switch breaks the circuit, at the reasonably runable height, 'n tilt is beyond that, where it shouldn't be run...

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1986 Merc 5.0.....what's the diff between Tilt and Trim?

You are correct. You usually have a safety of some kind to keep from tilting the motor up to trailer position by accident while running. The trim button should only raise it about halfway.