What am i doing wrong on cut in?

akorcovelos

Petty Officer 1st Class
Both on my kneeboard and my wakeboard I cut away from the boat, then cut a progressive edge back in to jump the wake. Problem is at the point where im transitioning from cutting out to cutting in I get a slack rope and drift back towards the boat, losing a lot of speed.

Couple things that may factor in, im using a ski rope, so it does stretch a bit, and I don't have a tower on the boat yet.

Guess im just looking for some advice on improving my technique.

BoatDrinksQ5

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: What am i doing wrong on cut in?

From the sounds of it - that is a pretty common occurrence if you are going out from the wake fast...and making quick back and forth hits without much pause.

Once you get out there just maintain your outward edge pressure and some extra weight on your tail to keep you slower then the boat. Some higher floating boards can have a tendency to 'speed' and race the boat when cuttin out.

scrit9mm

Chief Petty Officer

I have found that when I kick my back leg out which turns the front of the board toward the boat before the "apex", the rope stays tight and I never see the slack. So, in essence I am not straying too far from the wake.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

On the kneeboard it helps me to keep the rope tight against my waist when cutting back and forth.

akorcovelos

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good info, keep it comming! Going back out this weekend and want hit those wakes FAST!

Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class

As a slalom skier I was taught to pull the rope to my hips when cutting back in (arms kept straight). That ought to send you rocketing back across the wake.

salty87

Commander

Good info, keep it comming! Going back out this weekend and want hit those wakes FAST!

speed isn't really your friend. it will cause you to sling-shot across the wake fast but not give you much pop in doing so. makes me wonder if you're rushing things.

can you get some air off 1 side of the wake? you don't need a huge running start to get air. you need a strong edge and good handle. timing is very important...good edge, straightening your knees as your crest the wake, and pulling the handle to your waist with your shoulders back. when you go too fast it's very hard to get the timing right.

start your cut for 1 side of the wake while you're in between the wakes. a good edge and good handle position and you should get decent air off the 1 wake...don't try to cross them both for starters. once you're comfortable with the edge and are keeping the handle in close you can get try crossing both wakes.

speed is not the solution.

the ski rope is more dangerous for people in the boat. ropes are cheap on ebay.

akorcovelos

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's great descriptive advice, thanks! Im going tommorow and give it a shot. I can get decent air off one wake heel side hight wise, just don't carry much distance.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You might play with your rope length too. How long of a rope are you using? You might tie a loop in it and shorten it.

akorcovelos

Petty Officer 1st Class

Rope is probably around 60` but I have tried it shorter, maybe 35' and it didn't seem to help with the transition from cut out to cut in. I messed around this weekend and still.can get a nice sharp transition in, I just lose a lit if speed towards the wake. Keeping my hands at waist level helped stabilize me a lot, but it didn't seem ti help me git the wake any faster. Im really trying to get more distance on my jumps so I can cross the wakes.

BoatDrinksQ5

Petty Officer 1st Class

Try for more of a progressive cut - you should slowly increase speed and cut pressure as you approach the wake.

Watch pros - notice how it doesn't seem like they hardly cut in, make it look slow and easy?

salty87

Commander

i agree. if you hit your edge hard on the turn you can't apply more edge when you need it. turn real slow. slack in the rope makes no difference way out wide. when your board is drifting back toward the wake slowly apply edge. bending your knees as you get close to the wake will help apply more. will also allow you to straighten them at the top of the wake. pull the rope in at the same time and straighten your shoulders back.

applying edge creates tension in the rope. that tension combined with your board riding off the wake creates the lift. if you don't load the rope you're not going to make it.

you need to time everything right, not go faster. speed only makes the wipeouts hurt more.

BoatDrinksQ5

Petty Officer 1st Class

Also you want to size your rope based on your wake conditions - at the speed you ride (with boat loaded at typical weight). You want to be able to ride/hit the wake right before there is any foaming/curling of the wake.

But yeah shorter will help make the wake narrower at teh point - but also typically the wake is flatter there.

You can try to focus for awhile on getting good air and good timing and landing in front of the wake a few feet - will make for a rough landing but will also help your landing skillz. haha

akorcovelos

Petty Officer 1st Class

awesome! going to try and get out this week, I'll report back, thanks!

skidooseadoo83

Seaman Apprentice

There is a GREAT video on u-tube showing all the different types of wake jump approaches you can do (not tricks, just wake to wake jumps) I dont have the specific link but if you search "wakeboard wake jump instruction" it should be the first one on the list. The producer is learnwake... you'll know you found the right one when u see them using colored track lines for the different jump approaches. Im at work or i would link it. After i watched that video it all made sense, i went from never having gotten any air to doing wake to wake 8 footers.

skidooseadoo83

Seaman Apprentice

One more piece of advice that helped me tons, have someone video tape you. You'll see yourself doing things wrong you didnt even know you were doing. Its a lot to think about doing in a really small amount of time, at first, and get it all in sequence. Once you get it down muscle memory takes over.

akorcovelos

Petty Officer 1st Class

great advice! I'll check out that video tonight.

akorcovelos

Petty Officer 1st Class

well, got out yesterday for a good hour after taking the advice given here, and watching the video mentioned. I saw a big improvement in my edge in and started getting some good pops off the wake. finally got some good beginner jumps going! now I really need to work on committing to the jump since I noticed I tend to not push off hard enough when I hit the wake. I just need more confidence than anything else now. going back out Saturday to practice. thanks for all the help so far!

BoatDrinksQ5

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah the more confident you can become and comfortable the more you will get 'pop off the wake - also helps with committing to a long/good grab!

I think height is way more important then clearing the wake.