White Smoke Exiting Vent Holes after turning motor off?

Lukehorn

Recruit
I have a 2002 Johnson Outboard Motor. 50 horsepower. I just had a starter re-built. The mechanic said the motor is very solid and he didnt recommend any other altercations or cleanings.

For the past four times the boat has taken longer than normal to start. Once started it smokes for a bit and then quits. Runs smooth and does not miss, lose power, or backfire. Once started the boat starts without issues the rest of the day. I have used additives in the boat: Used Starbrite Fule Stabliizer.

On the 23 I put 5 ounces of Sea Foam in 5 Gallons of gas.

On the 24th I bought and installed a Johnson Evinrude Portable Gas tank for the following reason. The other set up on the portable tank did not have a quick release connect, it was leaking a little bit of gas and the hole that the gas is pulled from in the old portable tank was clogged and caused my fuel line to collapse three times. This is when I docked it and replaced the gas tank and fuel line.

On the 25th ran the boat with the new tank and gas line. Ran it for 45 minutes. It smoked on start up and that was it. Was tough to start...thought this might be due to new gas line.

Later on the 25th ran the boat around 35 minutes..started decent..white smoke at start and then the smoke stopped. Took off and ran the boat at 5,000 rpms for a good 30 minutes...of and on on the rpms due to wake zones. Ran smooth and no smoke. I then anchored at the swimming whole, shut the boat off and when I was swimming I noticed some puffs of smoke coming out of the the two vent holes on the back of the engine. This lasted 10 minutes and then quit. The puffs of smoke were in 3 or 4 seond intervals and very small puffs. The boat started fine and ran it another 15 minutes and docked it. It was about 80-85 degrees out and early it was around 96 degrees out.

My question is should I be concenrned about these puffs of smoke? Could it happen because my oil is running to rich? Could it be due to the new gas line running lean as it was new? Could it be fouled spark plugs? I have never noticed the puffs of smoke before. How can I tell if it is overheating and could the puffs of smoke be a sign of this. Have not ran the boat since.

Also, my set up is that the gas line and oil line are seperate and run into the engine and mix automatically. How do I check the ration on this set up? How full should I keep the oil reserve it draws from?

Sorry for the long post. I simply wanted to give good details.

Is the puffs of white smoke exit