Automotive history rant.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
This really bugs me. The auto related shows on DTV mangle the truth about automotive history.

I was watching "101 cars you must drive" this morning. They are from a different planet than I grew up on.

I have been a car nut for about 70 years. I was there when:

The Le Sabre concept car was introduced. It was not a Buick. The ignored and forgotten Buick XP-300 was introduced at the same time. The Le Sabre was a GM concept. The Buick XP-300 shared the LeSabre drivetrain of the aluminum, hemi headed, dual fuel V8. Later a Buick model was named Le Sabre, but that was a model for sale, not a concept.

Willys Overland was acquired by Kaiser and renamed Kaiser-Jeep. Then they acquired Nash and Hudson and became American Motor Corp. AMC did not "influence" Nash and Hudson. Nash and Hudson disappeared when AMC was founded. Willys did not "found" AMC. If any name was the "founder", it was Kaiser.

Studebaker and Packard merged to form the Studebaker-Packard Corp. True Packards disappeared immediately and several Studebaker models were blinged up and called Packards.

AMC went out of business, spinning off American General, which made the military HummVee and later made civilian models called Hummers.

There are ample archives to document the truth. These are examples of know-it-alls spouting garbage to sound expert when they are ignorant and too lazy to find out.

End of rant. Thanks for listening. :)

rivermouse

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Automotive history rant.

I agree with ya JB, what passes for an "expert"on most of these shows leaves a lot to be desired. I'm a Camaro nut, always have been and while watching Mecum Auto Auctions the narrator went on and on about Yenko built Camaros and he was wrong on nearly every point. Fortunately the bidders knew a lot more than he did.
Were some camaros "muscle cars"?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I have to laugh....... and people make money from making those shows!!!!

southkogs

Staff member

I'm with ya' JB - especially with American automotive history. There's such a cross fire of junk out there.

bassman284

Commander

I sometimes think that if it weren't for misinformation, we'd have no information at all.

Here's one that always bugs me. I have a '97 Jeep GC. For years I've been seeing ads for Jeep ZJ and WJ, often by Jeep dealers, claiming they had a V6. It's an inline six, doofus! Presumably a lot of buyers didn't know the difference either.

Brewman61

Ensign

Not sure what the car designers at AMC were smoking. The Pacer was a strange vehicle indeed. Looked like a terrarium on wheels. The Gremlin was almost as strange- I remember one that had a Levi's (the jeans) themed interior. Right down to the red tag sewn on the seat seam. Matador- anyone remember that one? The Javelin was a pretty nice looking car though. Jeep was the only saving grace of that company right till Chrysler nabbed it.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Were some camaros "muscle cars"?

Technically, no. They were pony cars. Just like the Mustangs and Firebirds. A muscle car is a mid sized car which those three are not. There have been a bunch of cars throughout the years that have been labeled muscle cars. Just because it's a go fast car with a big motor in itself does not make it a muscle car.

southkogs

Staff member

Chrysler takes exception to you calling the cross fire junk! Expect to hear from the lawyers. :D :D :D
LOL - I actually like the looks of that car. Haven't tried one out yet. Hang on ... phone's ringing ...

AMC=AlMost a Car
... of course, there's the Javelin.

Had a neighbor with an AMC pacer. A lime green one! Never seen a person or car get laughed at so much.
Funny story - years ago I had my Pinto ('76 Rally edition) on the beach in Lauderdale, and wound up (stupidly) parking with the local exotics (Porsches and such). Biker week brought a different breed of on-looker to the area, and upon pulling up the whole crowd left the nice shiny cars to come check out the dude who drove from Michigan to Florida in a Pinto!

Don S

the whole crowd left the nice shiny cars to come check out the dude who drove from Michigan to Florida in a Pinto!

And they all carried fire extinguishers and were looking at your gas tank, right ???? :p :p :p Sorry, couldn't resist.

PS: My brother had a blue and white Gremlin. Spent many a cold night out in the garage trying to get that piece running so he could get home.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

How about the 72 Gremlin with a 304.. not pretty but was fun to drive

Ha Ha...brings back memories...
A freind of mine had one with 70's on the front, and 50's on the rear mounted on Cragar SS wheels. It was quite the chick magnet back in the days.

puddle jumper

Captain

Had a neighbor with an AMC pacer. A lime green one! Never seen a person or car get laughed at so much.

As odd as that car looked. I saw one that some one cut the back off like a Elcomino/Ranchero whith 50,s all around. It was a hot looking car.

GA_Boater

How about the 72 Gremlin with a 304.. not pretty but was fun to drive

I bought one brand new. Talk about a sleeper. The only thing that showed it had a 304 was a small 5.0 decal on the rear by the right tail light. Straight line was awesome, not so much on bendy roads, :eek:

southkogs

Staff member

And they all carried fire extinguishers and were looking at your gas tank, right ???? :p :p :p Sorry, couldn't resist.
... I actually got rear ended in that car once. The cops had a field day through the entire incident, "Yeah, yeah, har, har. Can I sign that and go home please?" :rolleyes:

On the "whodathunkit" side: that Pinto would do 120 stock. Took it a bit to get there, but it'd do it.

JB

All these memories of AMC stuff. Why doesn't anyone remember the AMX? With the 401 that was a pretty cool car.

GTS225

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Oh...some of us remember the AMX. It was actually the first Javelins, AMC just hadn't adopted the name yet. How about the ScRambler, or the Green Machine, and even the Donahue Javelin of '71(?). All good musclecars in thier own right, adn all offered by AMC.
There was another one......I remember reading a blurb somewhere about a company in Arizona the was installing the big 401 in Gremlin X's, and AMC covering the warranty.

True story; I was working in the used car department for a Cedar Falls, Iowa AMC dealer back in the day. Got the chance to transfer 6 CJ's to a dealer in Schaumberg Illinois, and bring back a different car. Six of us took off in identical CJ's, (same engines anyway) and each of those Jeeps used 1.25 tanks of gas getting there. We got to bring a 4-banger powered Gremlin back. One of the guys stayed the weekend with his girlfriend, while the other five of us loaded down the Gremlin. (Me, being the smallest, got the package area at the back window.) We used 3/4 tank of gas all the way back. Even as a young, dumb kid, I was impressed that the well-loaded car, with a 4-banger, could still accelerate reasonably well, and get that kind of mileage.
(Sorry, I didn't get any raw numbers as far as tank sizes and gallons used, so it's hardly a scientific judgement.)

Roger

Alan_Scott

Seaman

Oh...some of us remember the AMX.

When I was a kid, I remember seeing Shirley Shahan scrape the rear bumper of her AMX coming off the line at a drag strip down around Long Beach. I remember the crowds reaction because she drove it out, not once lifting off of the throttle.

JB

The AMX was not an early Javelin. It was a different, shorter car. . .a 2 passenger coupe. The Javelin was a better road racer, though.