make your own spark tester

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer
drill & tap into the flat side of the hexagon nut attach a wire & cut the little piece of metal of on the end of the plug fit a crocodile clip on the other end , wear leather gloves when you use it .

Attachments

• Photo0587.jpg
    Photo0587.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 2

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: make your own spark tester

For $7.00 at Advanced Auto, I don't think I'll try messing around making one. And it is adjustable.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

guys, Durban is in New Zealand. not sure there is an advanced auto around the corner there. for all we know, this may be his only course of action.

Kamcoman

Cadet

Make sure you are using a non-resistance spark plug. The Advance Auto spark testers do not have a resistor in them.

Keith

mark1961

Ensign

Ive been to Hamilton NZ and can assure you they do have the equivalent type of store/s there.....its no one horse town.....even has its own low volume international airport. :rolleyes:;)

durban

Ive been to Hamilton NZ and can assure you they do have the equivalent type of store/s there. :rolleyes::D

the point is why should i spend money on something if i can make it out of bits & pieces i have in my shed .

mark1961

Ensign

the point is why should i spend money on something if i can make it out of bits & pieces i have in my shed .

Exactly.....i wasnt suggesting otherwise......just putting things into perspective. ;)

kodibass

Nice job, I made one kinda like it but mine is a double deal so I can see if both cylinders r firing, I work mostly on 2 cylinder outboards and it makes it easy.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

...and I used to have a store bought spark tester that looked almost exactly like the one Durban made. Looked like a wide gapless plug with a clip welded to the side. Worked fine for the magneto systems, but a high energy system would arc all over the place.