odd ball spindles, sell trailer or machine new hubs?

dkonrai

Senior Chief Petty Officer
i have a small trailer for a 12 foot tinny. went to service the hubs, and found one of them was broken, pot metal and old. so i go buy a pair of hibs, and they are too deep. when you place it on the axle spindle, the nut will barley fit, by a few threads. i dont really want to spend too much, the trailer is kinda old.
question, is it ok to machine the hub, i need about 3/4" so i can replace the hubs. anyone run into this? i dont want to replace the spindles, as it will take a long time, and the trailer isnt worth it. i have a buddy that has a metal lath.
dino

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Re: odd ball spindles, sell trailer or machine new hubs?

Another option would be to watch the ads for a used old trailer the same size and buy it for the axle.

Titanium48

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you have a new set of hubs and bearings waiting to be installed you might as well get a new axle beam to go with them. A local spring shop made one for me for $100 with a 48 hour turnaround. Or return the hubs and buy the whole axle assembly for $150.

dkonrai

If you have a new set of hubs and bearings waiting to be installed you might as well get a new axle beam to go with them. A local spring shop made one for me for $100 with a 48 hour turnaround. Or return the hubs and buy the whole axle assembly for $150.

i live in the west coast/bay area. if i could have bought a new axle that inexpensive i would have jumped on that!
so it ended up having a spacer on the spindle. i pulled the spacer and had to file and emery cloth the knurled area that was holding the spacers. spacer was 3/4", or what i needed.

now the funny thing, axle hubs 24 ea, plus tax/bearings/seals 82.00. (west coast, a new axle runs about 300) then add 2 tires @ 51 ea... arrrgghhh. but at least it will tow now. oh well. darn thing is that for about 300 i could have had a nicer trailer that was turn key :) but that wouldnt be any fun now would it?
dino

loose rivet

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't think its just on the west coast, the days of $150 axles are gone.
I can't buy the components wholesale for that these days.
Retail here is about the same for a custom made 2000 lb axle.
Of course, there's a few Chinese pre-made axles out there still selling cheaper but I've got no clue on the quality.
I have seen a rash of detached spindles on a few brand trailers out there lately, the spindle is too short, they're butt welding the spindle to the tube, with 1/4" or less actually inside the axle tube. It just don't have any shear strength.
On the axles I make, the spindle extends at least 4" into the axle tube, in most cases all the way to where the U bolts clamp down on the axle.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Pleased to hear you have it resolved! Aint this fun?!

dkonrai

I don't think its just on the west coast, the days of $150 axles are gone.
I can't buy the components wholesale for that these days.
Retail here is about the same for a custom made 2000 lb axle.
Of course, there's a few Chinese pre-made axles out there still selling cheaper but I've got no clue on the quality.
I have seen a rash of detached spindles on a few brand trailers out there lately, the spindle is too short, they're butt welding the spindle to the tube, with 1/4" or less actually inside the axle tube. It just don't have any shear strength.
On the axles I make, the spindle extends at least 4" into the axle tube, in most cases all the way to where the U bolts clamp down on the axle.

i dont think anything is made in the us :( . interesting comments regarding spindles and axles. i have a bayliner that i replaced the axle and hubs, that ran 300, but that was a few years ago. i didnt mind droppping some $$ on the bayliner, but the tinny is something different altogether.
dino

dkonrai

so here is some shots of the ghetto trailer.
P1040304.jpg

are the tires a little tall on the profile?

P1040305.jpg

homemade bow connections. the guy before me had the trailer set up for a inflatable. this was my "in the garage" solution.

P1040306.jpg

another shot from below

P1040307.jpg

P1040308.jpg

the axle looks a little flat, but its ok the boat doesnt weigh much at all.

reelfishin

Captain

That looks like an early 50's Mastercraft trailer from Connecticut.
The first models they made had the erector set style tongue. I'd guess around 1954 give or take a year.

Those came with one piece rim/hubs assemblies when new in the beginning then they used a 'rust proof' hub assembly, which meant cast aluminum. They had their own design hub, to me it looked like a go cart hub. They are rarely not broken, the dissimilar metal issues between the bearings and wheel lugs pretty much doomed them from the start.
Their claim to fame was a retractable roller system, the middle beam or rollers would slide out and guide the boat up the trailer.
They came with a 4.00x8" tire. The first models with bolt on wheels had two piece rims, you had to unbolt the two halves to change the tire.

Trailers from that era changed often and variations were vast. There were some pretty odd set ups back then, these were up at the top of the list. It wasn't really until the 1960's when trailers started to look like what we use now. Every company did their own thing and had their own ideas as to what a trailer should be. These were mostly advertised in the backs of magazines. I'd guess the original price was under $100 brand new back then.

I think in most cases, those were sort of intended to be launched and loaded by hand if your model don't tilt or extend.
Of course with a 14' tinny, you can basically just drag the bow up on the trailer at water's edge. You would need a pretty steep ramp to float the boat on and off.

The rear C channel that holds your lights has been added, these didn't come with lights. My guess is they weren't required yet.

Mastercraft also sold a camper kit/utility box that could be winched up onto that frame to make the trailer multipurpose.
I've seen a few still in use at flea markets being used a junk haulers using the original camper box. Its basically a steel box with a beam down the middle that slid onto the trailer in place of the boat so you could use the trailer to haul cargo.
The original ball coupler was cast iron with an iron knob to tighten it down on the ball.

reelfishin

Captain

I found these on the web:

Attachments

• Mastercraft ads.JPG
    Mastercraft ads.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 0

dkonrai

wow thats was some really good reads! thanks for the info. guess the trailer is holding up pretty good for its age.
dino

Titanium48

Petty Officer 1st Class

shipping is kinda expensive, especially down south :)
dino
Yes, cross border shipping is deal killer. I've seen a lot of good deals on US webstores evaporate after calculating shipping to Canada. Custom axles are priced competitively at our local shops though, it is interesting that yours aren't.

slowleak

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm in southern NJ, I just priced a 48" square tube axle for a boat trailer here and was told for a hub to hub axle, no bearing buddies, no springs, and no hardware would be $328 and they have to order it. Almost no one will build an axle due to liability and insurance issues here.
I priced four trailer centers and two marina boat stores and all were within a few bucks. If I had bought the new axle, the costs would be more than a new trailer in a hurry.
This is what the trailer place down the road wanted just for parts:
$328 - Axle
$32 - U bolt kit (4 u bolts and tie plate)
$20 - 9/16 spring bolts
$70 - two slipper springs, 1000lb each
$38 - (Old axle had Sure Lube spindles).
----------
$488 total,
$29 Plus 6% sales tax
______
$517 total, not counting my time and labor.

The whole trailer only cost $550 brand new 5 years ago.
I ended up buying two 1" spindles online, about $40 total, and a length of 1 5/8" galvanized square tubing for $58 at the steel supplier, I found two good used hubs at a local junk yard, I bought new Timken bearings online for $40 shipped, and four new U bolts for $32 at the local spring shop. I also bought two Red Eye bearing covers for $24 at Walmart I built my own axle for $194 total. Plus my time and gas running around. If I wasn't in somewhat of a hurry to get it done this summer, I'm sure I could have sat back and sooner or later found some items cheaper either online or at any of the local flea markets each spring. Even at that, I'd be hard pressed to get the cost down to $150 for all the parts. I didn't have to buy two new hubs, only one was really bad, but both were pretty rough looking from saltwater use.
I did drill and fill this axle with Boeshield so maybe it'll last longer than the original.
The original axle wasn't very well waterproofed, there were gaps in the welds around the spindles and both spring center holes were drilled on top clear through into the tube, which no doubt filled up and held water for long periods of time after every launch.
This axle is water tight, galvanized, and coated inside to prevent rust.

dkonrai

amazing the cost of upkeeping a trailer. as stated earlier i replaced my axle and hubs on my bayliner for about 300.00. that included the install.
the tinny trailer is so not worth the money. i figured that i can hopefully recoup my costs when we sell the tin/trailer later this fall. at worst case, i can always strip the good parts and just junk the trailer?
dino

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer

i live in the west coast/bay area. if i could have bought a new axle that inexpensive i would have jumped on that!
so it ended up having a spacer on the spindle. i pulled the spacer and had to file and emery cloth the knurled area that was holding the spacers. spacer was 3/4", or what i needed.

now the funny thing, axle hubs 24 ea, plus tax/bearings/seals 82.00. (west coast, a new axle runs about 300) then add 2 tires @ 51 ea... arrrgghhh. but at least it will tow now. oh well. darn thing is that for about 300 i could have had a nicer trailer that was turn key :) but that wouldnt be any fun now would it?
dino

I'm in norcal also.. For future reference, Pacific Trailer is where I get my trailer parts from. Stay out of West Marine and you'll find your wallet stays healthier.

The complete new axle less hubs would have been 149.00 plus shipping/tax. http://www.pacifictrailers.com/square-tube-trailer-axles-straight-spindles-2200lb-galvanized-/ You need to weld the spring seats on when you get it but other than that it's. I replaced one a couple of years ago for all the same frustrating reasons that you've experienced. Heck, I was having to substitute cam shaft seals for grease seals on the hubs because no one carried the right size for the hubs that were on the original one.

dkonrai

I'm in norcal also.. For future reference, Pacific Trailer is where I get my trailer parts from. Stay out of West Marine and you'll find your wallet stays healthier.

The complete new axle less hubs would have been 149.00 plus shipping/tax. http://www.pacifictrailers.com/square-tube-trailer-axles-straight-spindles-2200lb-galvanized-/ You need to weld the spring seats on when you get it but other than that it's. I replaced one a couple of years ago for all the same frustrating reasons that you've experienced. Heck, I was having to substitute cam shaft seals for grease seals on the hubs because no one carried the right size for the hubs that were on the original one.

jlawson, thanks for the tip, still would have run a few bucks, shipping, tax, hubs, bearing kit, new wheels/tires. it would have added about a few bucks to the repair, and i still would have a marginal 50+ year old trailer. ahhh the joys of boat owner ship. even if i bought a different trailer i still would have had to probably buy new hubs n tires.
i bought the hubs/bearings from b&d trailer in concord. cheaper than wally's world for sure. it was 82 bucks out the door complete hub kits. thats around 35 bucks or so each side. the tires are wally world specials for 51 plus tax. i could have gone a little bit cheaper on the tires but figured taller profile would be a little better on the dirt roads of the sierra's.
dino

dkonrai

took out the boat yesterday, trailer is ok a little play on one of the spindles, but think its going to be ok, the boat weeps a little at the transom and the motor runs good. yeah!
dino

Lakes84

Petty Officer 1st Class

Forgive me if this as been mentioned, but why not buy some longer lugs? They are easily pounded out the back and new ones installed. I had an issue very similar to yours and that solved it for me. That's the cheapest....