Ok, before I start this Merc 70 for the first time.. '89 I believe

Sippen

Seaman
Well I picked up a '69 Starcraft 18' Holiday V. The seller was in the early stage of restoring it. It came with a Mercury 70 (3 cylinder) on the rear end. The VIN reads 0C205789, I'm not sure but I think this would make it an '89 ?
I am a newbie with boating and this is finally my first boat. She's got potential.. (but don't all fat girls).
GAS: Does it auto mix or should I Pre-mix it on my own? I think I read somewhere that this is not the best motor and to somehow bypass the engines "mixer" and shoot it clean with pre-mix. (if it's an '89) Would that be easy?

The fellow who sold it to me said it ran strong the last time he used it. He gave it a tune up on AUG 2010 at his local marina (Compton Marine Service, Coldwater MI). Below is what he had done:
Mercury 70.jpg
So, It's been 2 years since he fired it up.
Any other thoughts before I drop it in the Brute barrel of water,
Much appreciated!

Charlie61

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Ok, before I start this Merc 70 for the first time.. '89 I believe

first thing you need to mix gas , you need a service manual .if setting for two year it need to rebuild water pump and use new gas ,it looks like for tune up was a good one. i could fire after you do the above . it may fire now if the water pump will be bad and may misup something.

carholme

Rear Admiral

That s/n comes up as a model:

10704129D MERCURY 1989 70

Parts Listing:

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/365.cfm

If you notice, the engine came equipped with oil injection. See the components under Oil Injection Components. You should definitely ask the previous owner if the oil injection was working or if he had disabled it. If he had disabled it then he will tell you that he was pre mixing.

Make sure before you run it.

Gerry

Sippen

Seaman

If you notice, the engine came equipped with oil injection. See the components under Oil Injection Components. You should definitely ask the previous owner if the oil injection was working or if he had disabled it. If he had disabled it then he will tell you that he was pre mixing.
Gerry

Wow, Thanks for the big head's up Gerry. There is oil in the reservoir but I also see a wire disconnected running to it.
I shot an email to the previous owner to see if it was bypassed. I was planning on fire it up this evening! think I'm holding off..

Thank you Charlie61, I will check out the water pump. If all holes are blowing out water, it should be good, right?

Dave1027

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Wow, Thanks for the big head's up Gerry. There is oil in the reservoir but I also see a wire disconnected running to it...
The wire is for the level sensor. It sets off the alarm if the oil level drops too low. Just because it's disconnected does not mean the oil injection is disabled. It only means the alarm is. I'd look for an oil pump that feeds the fuel pump (right below it). If it's there then that usually means it's operational and you don't premix.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Thank you Charlie61, I will check out the water pump. If all holes are blowing out water, it should be good, right?

I'm not sure that an '89 Merc has a telltale 'P' stream of water out the back to confirm the motor's impeller is circulating water (JohnyRudes do). A service manual should help you id how to check for water circulation.

Sippen

Seaman

Ok, I will look around for a service manual. thanks for the tip

Sippen

Seaman

Does the gas tank on this 2cycle need to be pressurized?
Some of the fittings on the old tank look rough so I would like to just put some fresh gas in a clean container, prime the engine, and turn it over.. or is it a closed pressurized system? ty

jbcurt00

Staff member

That s/n comes up as a model: 10704129D MERCURY 1989 70 Parts Listing:

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/365.cfm

If you notice, the engine came equipped with oil injection. See the components under Oil Injection Components. You should definitely ask the previous owner if the oil injection was working or if he had disabled it. If he had disabled it then he will tell you that he was pre mixing. Make sure before you run it. Gerry

Based on the way I read the Fuel Pump detail in the above noted link, the fuel hose attachment to a fuel tank, is a single hose, w/ a squeeze bulb to start the fuel flow into the carb.

Not a dual (Johnson-style) hose pressurized fuel system.

Again a service manual might help, a combined yr & hp manual is available here
EDIT:
Select Marine/Boat motor

Scroll down to Mercury

Find your motor in the combined 1972-1989 45-225hp

Last edited:

Sippen

Seaman

Based on the way I read the Fuel Pump detail in the above noted link, the fuel hose attachment to a fuel tank, is a single hose, w/ a squeeze bulb to start the fuel flow into the carb.

Not a dual (Johnson-style) hose pressurized fuel system.

Again a service manual might help, a combined yr & hp manual is available here
EDIT:
Select Marine/Boat motor

Scroll down to Mercury

Find your motor in the combined 1972-1989 45-225hp

Thank you JB for the feedback!
Does the link work on your pc? when I click on "here" it loads another window with an error message.
sorry to bother you, but if you have a simple solution, much appreciated.

jbcurt00

Staff member

The link did work :confused: must auto log me off after XXhrs:facepalm:

I have the website saved as a bookmark, but it auto-loads & fills in the user name & password. I can't remember for the password....Duh....

Give me a few minutes

Its posted in a thread @iboats somewhere but I can't find it on the fly....

jbcurt00

Staff member

http://search.ebscohost.com/

Username: marshall
Password: public

after logon:

Select small engine repair

Select Marine/Boat motor

Scroll down to Mercury

Find your motor in the combined 1972-89 45-225hp

Specific for your year & motor, would be better, but in a pinch the combined is better then nothing

Carp, here it is:
Try this link. http://search.ebscohost.com/ username:marshall, password: public. click on small engines and go to the marine section.

jbcurt00

Staff member

WingedWheel posted it in Sept 2010, so I guess it'll be good for awhile.

You can download the PDF's

A year & model specific manual would be better, but yeah, great site. I've gotten manuals for motors I was just considering or on hulls I was considering as well.

Sippen

Seaman

I finally was able to drop the lower unit, put on an impeller and the p-stream ran strong. Idols good but higher rpm is rough.
Looking at 2service manuals. Anyone suggest one over the other?
Climer or Seloc... Or any other that may b better?
I read most are vague In regards to finer detail but if u have insight, lease advise. TY!

Sippen

Seaman

I now have the Mercury service manual and it does shed a lot of new light. I am going to do a compression test in a couple of days to see if one of three cylinders is low. But for now, I recorded a small clip of how it sounds. when idling it sounds ok, but when I lift the lever to throttle it up it sounds rough and a bit smokey. I will dig further but if you have any thoughts, let me know.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4ZNmiEPLzA&feature=youtu.be

Thanks!

Charlie61

Petty Officer 1st Class

just saw your motor running ,smokes nothing dose sound rough but it's out of the water then you put it in the lake it's going to sould totally great or bad you could test it in the lake before taking it out for a run! wish you there here helping me!!! ha ha.

carholme

Rear Admiral

Don't understand what you mean by "when I lift the lever to throttle it up". What control box do you have and what lever are you lifting up?

Gerry

Sippen

Seaman

Don't understand what you mean by "when I lift the lever to throttle it up". What control box do you have and what lever are you lifting up?

Gerry
Hi Gerry,
It's on the right side of my controller. While leaving it in neutral, I lift it up and it begins to sound rough. The sticker on it reads "Lift for fast idol, push in to choke"
Came with the boat, running the '89 Mercury.

merc controller.JPG

When I shift it into forward and get the RPM's up, it sounds rough then too.
Is it common for it to smooth out once it's in the lake?
I'm trying to work the bugs out before I'm in the water.. but I could find some paddles and drop it in the local lake.
Thanks,

jbcurt00

Staff member

There's no back pressure on muffs or in a bucket. So it does run & sound different in the lake. May not be the only thing, but might be too....