Trim/tilt down only works in nuetral

Tdb5634

Recruit
Hello,

I have a 1988 (built in 1987) bayliner capri 16ft with the 2.3l ford motor and omc outdrive that i believe is a cobra version.

The trim down is very intermittent out of water and i have to really move the throttle handle around in nuetral position alot and even pull back fairly hard in nuetral to get the drive motor to activate and get the drive to go down. In the water and under way it trims up perfectly but to trim back down i have to stop, go into nuetral and mess with the handle again. When it is in nuetral and at the right place, trim down works perfectly. Do you think this is a wiring issue inside the throttle handle or something more severe? If it is a wiring issue does anyone have a diagram to assist in disassembly of the throttle (it is the standard bayliner throttle handle with the b on the handle pivot).

Thanks for all your help!

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: Trim/tilt down only works in nuetral

sounds like the wires to the trim switch right in the shifter might be the culprit - rubbed through the insulation where they run in the trough of the handle
064trimscontrol.JPG

kinda looks like there's a tab to pop that B square out - probably a screw under it to take the handle off- I'm guessing at that, but the handle itself looks exactly like the OMC handle- 1 big philips screw on those

Tdb5634

Recruit
Re: Trim/tilt down only works in nuetral

Thanks a million Howard, i will start the tear down and hopefully it will be a piece of cake!