Hello from Ky.....

Derek B.

Cadet
Just wanted to introduce myself. Just purchased an older Tracker 175 special edition. I love to fish but I've only had it on the water so far to pull the kiddos on a knee board and tube.We've had a blast! The boat is a 1999 with a 75 Mariner. The boat seems to run out good but honestly I was expecting it to be just a little faster. Can anybody tell me what it should top out at on smooth water with two adults on board? Don't really know the pitch of the prop but everything seems to factory.

dmtalon

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Hello from Ky.....

Can't answer your question, but I live just a small hop away from Northern Kentucky... Wondering where you've been / how you like it? Locally I've only been to Brookville Lake in Indiana.

I plan to drive south at some point and check out Dale Hollow, Cumberland, and Norris.

Derek B.

Cadet

Been on Cumberland alot,nice lake! Dale Hollow has great smallmouth fishing if you hit it at the right time.

foodfisher

Captain

"just a little faster" than what? Train, plane. No clue as to what you've got going now. Rpm's? Speed? GPS? Speedo? Lake? River? Load?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome to iboats

Aluminum boats are slower then the fiberglass boats. The 75 HP will probably see in the mid to upper 30's for speed.

Once you are completely frustrated with the performance you will probably want a newer prop. The prop section on iboats is very busy and before you ask about a prop people will direct you here http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=287818

The boats overall speed is a big equation that encompasses things such as:
Hull design
Motor in proper tuned up status
Motor mounting height
Propeller
Proper trim
and the drivers experience to get everything to work in harmony :)

Since this is a new boat to you all of those factors come into play.

Regardless if you get to your sweet fishing hole at 30 MPH or 35 mph......... the result is the same..... you get there and still be able to fish!

I have seen many people win Bass Tournaments with a 9.9 hp motor while the "pro's" are running 65-70 MPH.

Welcome to iboats - enjoy the new toy!!! :D

Derek B.

Cadet

Welcome to iboats

Aluminum boats are slower then the fiberglass boats. The 75 HP will probably see in the mid to upper 30's for speed.

Once you are completely frustrated with the performance you will probably want a newer prop. The prop section on iboats is very busy and before you ask about a prop people will direct you here http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=287818

The boats overall speed is a big equation that encompasses things such as:
Hull design
Motor in proper tuned up status
Motor mounting height
Propeller
Proper trim
and the drivers experience to get everything to work in harmony :)

Since this is a new boat to you all of those factors come into play.

Regardless if you get to your sweet fishing hole at 30 MPH or 35 mph......... the result is the same..... you get there and still be able to fish!

I have seen many people win Bass Tournaments with a 9.9 hp motor while the "pro's" are running 65-70 MPH.

Welcome to iboats - enjoy the new toy!!! :D

Thanks for the help. The boat will run in high 30's now(if my speedo is working correctly).

jestor68

Commander

According to the Tracker web site, the 175 with a 75 Optimax estimated speed (I bet they've tested a couple) is 40-41 mph.

emoney

Commander

Boats are always slower than we think they will be, and the diff between 39mph and 45mph is usually not worth the extra $$. Boats are about fun with the family. Motorcycles are for when we need to go fast.

Derek B.

Cadet

According to the Tracker web site, the 175 with a 75 Optimax estimated speed (I bet they've tested a couple) is 40-41 mph.

Thanks for the info. Satisfies my curiousity.I really appreciate it.