66 Newport on the water finally!

66 Newport

Cadet
I finally got the 66 Newport on the water last weekend. I had to spend the first half of Satrurday doing the last bit of wrenching on it and finally got it in the water around 2pm. Boy is this thing fun! I got it turned around and idled away from the boat ramp as I trimmed the drive down then hit the throttle. She leaped right out of the water and got on plane. I was nervously watching the temp gauge rise up and right at the green/red line the thermostat opened and it dropped right down into the middle of the green and stayed there. Full throttle rpm was right at 4000, but the boat felt like it was bow plowing and would chuck real hard when you crossed another boats wake. Later in the day I lifted the trim bolt up one hole on the drive and she picked up 400 rpm on the top end. Even better than that she went from 41 to 49 mph top speed! This thing flies and feels so much better running through the water with the drive trimmed up. This weekend its all fun, no more working on it! I'm going to polish the fiberglass on Friday afternoon when we get to camp then throw it in the water and enjoy the weekend.

IMG_1287.jpgIMG_1289.jpgIMG_1290.jpg

barato2

Commander
Re: 66 Newport on the water finally!

beautiful setting, and boat looks great. congrats.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Great job! Looks like a fun boat.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

66 - Did you wear this :D out yet? Nice job and sounds like all the work paid off. Keep having fun and grins.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Great to hear all went smooth & successful on the splash!:D

Looks great! Enjoy the attention it'll get you around the dock & ramp.........

chuckndiscs

Petty Officer 1st Class

Awesome! Glad to hear about the smiles after the voyage! Have fun this weekend.