boat won't start

nybrn60

Cadet
hey guys , tried to start my boat the other day and all i got was a clicking noise. so i checked my battery
fully charged, next i re4placed my selinoid, still the same thing. just took out the starter and everything looks good. i do
have a perco switch could that be the problem.... help!!!!! please

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: boat won't start

A likely prospect is your battery wiring to the engine. Take both battery cables off; both ends. Scrub the connectors shiny, check the cables for weak spots or swelling and reinstall.

Let us know what you get, and good luck. :)

Look here for troubleshooting: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158071

nybrn60

Cadet

cleaned all the cables and now all it does is click. thanks for the site jb

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Jump the starter directly (positive post of the battery to the large terminal on the solenoid that feeds the starter. If it still doesn't spin you need a starter.

mattzmojo

Cadet

The click is the solenoid trying to engage. Good suggestion on 1. cleaning connections and 2. testing starter isolated.

Are you sure your battery is charged and in working order? I had issues on the past where the batter simply was not able to take a charge anymore(some of the cells died) and it simply did not give enough starting Amps to get it spinning.

Could the rotor be stuck on the starter motor itself? Check and see if you can move it and free it if necessary.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Jump the starter directly (positive post of the battery to the large terminal on the solenoid that feeds the starter. If it still doesn't spin you need a starter.
Good idea, but you must jump the battery negative to the engine block at the same time to get reliable results.