Smoke from exhaust manifold

parmy

Recruit
I have a OMC Cobra, Volvo 8 cylinder, sn T01288129 about a 1995, I think. Today after running the boat for about 5 minuts, I got a lot of smoke from right manifold. It was seriously hot. I was able to get back to the ramp running at no wake speed. Temp guage was normal.<br />Any thoughts? I'm realitvely new at this.<br />Thanks,<br />P

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Smoke from exhaust manifold

What is the model number, that serial number is an OMC number that I have no way of tracking down since OMC no longer exists, but if you have the engine model number other than it's a V8, it might help. Should be something like 5.xGLxxxxx where the X's are different letters. Need those letters and numbers <br />But as with any overheat problem, have you checked the raw water pump impeller? That is a replace every couple of years type item.

parmy

Recruit

The model number is 502APNCA. I had the water pump replaced end of last season. I am only getting overheat on one manifold and the temp guage is normal. There is a lot of smoke on the overheat.<br />Thanks,<br />p

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ok, now we are getting somewhere. You have a 96 Ford 5.0L engine with a 2bbl carb, power steering and is an NC model with the SX style drive. Basically, your local Volvo dealer can take care of you if needed since this was during the Volvo OMC joint venture and a few years before Volvo bought them out completely. Your raw water is engine mounted and belt drive. Pull the pump and check the impeller to start with.

Bondo

Staff member

I am only getting overheat on one manifold and the temp guage is normal.
1st Guess is,...........<br /><br />The Riser is Plugged on that side.........Water can get In,.....<br />But Can't get Out,... That equals NO Flow on That Side.......

rob935

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sounds like you have a blockage in the manifold or riser on that side, they have a habbit of building up sediment...

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Im with Bondo and Rob,pull the riser and check if it is clogged and see if there is an obstruction down the exhaust tube.A quick tell tale to the riser w/o removing it is to unscrew the drain or drains on that riser and prod with a coat hanger or screwdriver and there will probably be some black crud that comes out.I used to do this while running on muffs so the water flow would help to clear any crap or rust while I was prodding around in there.You can also get a clue by how strong a stream of water comes out the drain.My guess is that yours wont yeild any water flow until you start poking around.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Ya don't need a lot of engine numbers to figure out the manifold is junk. When the last time they were changed?

parmy

Recruit

Thanks for all the replies. I am going to check on the clog issue but may have to wait until the weekend since my day job is taking a lot of time this week.<br />P