What to take note of when removing an outboard?

brjohnson2

Cadet
Hi everyone!

I have '77 85hp Johnson I am needing to remove from my '72 Glastron. This is a project boat I got for very cheap. Anyway, I'm very new to the boating world, but am confident I can restore this beauty. First up is getting the motor off the boat, so I can replace the deck and transom.

What should I be taking note of before I remove the motor? I've been reading about how much the smallest details can make the world of difference in performance, so I don't want to mess something up! Any other tips would be greatly appreciated too.

robert graham

Admiral
Re: What to take note of when removing an outboard?

Check the weight of the motor, how you're gonna lift it, and where you're gonna set it down(like an outboard motor stand). Could take some photos of boat, motor, etc. before getting started. Good Luck!

BonairII

Commander

Not sure what you mean by "What should I take not of". Taking the motor off the boat won't change any "settings" on the motor. Just detach the controls, fuel line, etc and lift it off. Use the "lifting eye" on the motor...don't lift by wrapping chain/rope on the flywheel etc.

Use a chain hoist or "come along".

brjohnson2

Cadet

I've read that the motor weighs in around 200lbs, and was planning on using this plan to build a motor stand: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=266570 I do have to make it a little taller to accommodate the height of the motor.

I am planning on taking photos and keeping in my "project book of knowledge"! :)

brjohnson2

Cadet

I guess I'm wondering if there are any measurements I should record, or not which bolt holes are used, or anything else! The way you make it sound, taking the motor off is easier than I am making it out to be!

BonairII can you describe what a "lifting eye" would look like? I was just planning on having a buddy help me lift it the boat and onto the stand. Do you think that would work?

BonairII

Commander

It's the hook circled in red. Your hook may/may not be "bent" like this one. Mine is designed like this on purpose btw. If it wasn't bent down, the cowling wouldn't fit over the motor.
lifthook-2.jpg

brjohnson2

Cadet

It's the hook circled in red. Your hook may/may not be "bent" like this one. Mine is designed like this on purpose btw. If it wasn't bent down, the cowling wouldn't fit over the motor.
lifthook-2.jpg

Thanks for sharing! I'll have to check to see if I have one tonight.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

104_6902.jpg102_6758.jpg102_6759.jpg

The 85 is a V4 and probably up around 275 lb in weight.

With the correct tools there is nothing magic about removing an engine. I do it all the time and it only takes about an hour. Disconnect the battery first. Then disconnect the fuel line, control cables, elecrtical cable(s), and steering cable. Attach your lifting device and remove the mounting bolts.

Here is what I use to lift engines.

Most Glastron hulls have a narrow splashwell and you will need to move the engine sideways to remove the steering cable if it has through the tilt tube steering.

brjohnson2

Cadet

So it really is pretty simple then! I am just thinking its more complicated than it appears to be.

I was thinking a chain hoist too, as it was the least expensive option for getting a hoist. Don't need to go to far, so I'm thinking of putting a couple 2x6's on end between my rafters and attaching the hoist to those.

Anybody have tips on how to properly dissemble control, electrical, and steering cables?

Thanks for the help!