60 hp johnson runs for 15 sefonds, then dies.... but will start right back up again

jwilkey84

Chief Petty Officer
So I am really getting tired of helping a buddy with his boat. Actually not even a buddy, just someone who found out I tinker with outboards......so the boat was running fine a week ago. Then today he went out and it will idle for about 15 seconds and then die, starts right up again and does the same thing over and over. It is a 60 hp 1971 hydroelectric shift motor. compression is good, fuel is new, he says the bulb stays hard, water pump is new, LU was just rebuilt and sealed, I previously cleaned up the carbs for him and it was running good. Note that at the time of the carb cleaning that the floats on two of the three carbs were sticking sometimes. but then it was doing fine so I figured we took care of that problem. I dont know what else to tell him, he says a marina mechanic took a air compressor to the fuel pump diaphram and blew low pressure air throught it to check to see if it was good, and it was. But now he's thinkig maybe the compressed air could have damaged the diaphram, can it? We had the carb set at 1.5 turns out and he tried everhthing between 1 and 2 turns and said it made no difference. What could it be, a timing issue, air leak in fuel? I asked him if he squeezed the bulb while it was starting to die and he said if he squeezed the bulb while the motor was running it would immediately die every time. Please help.......................................I am never working on any motors but my own again!!