Turbojet 115 saga

owl

Cadet
OK! Anyone interested in my Four Winns Fling saga, can avoid a lot of time and money spent, chasing problems that may or may not be an issue, if they don?t follow my example.
My 1994 Fling with a turbojet 115 would not start when I purchased it. I should have taken it to a marine repair shop but I chose to buy parts and change those parts for the parts I thought were bad on my motor. I replaced the power Pac, stator, fuel pump, all the fuel lines, fuel filter, spark plugs (twice or three times) and I rebuilt both carburetors. I removed the seat bottom and exposed the fuel tank, and then I removed and cleaned the anti-siphon valve on the fuel tank. I installed a radiator hose spring in side of my exhaust hose to keep it from collapsing. I broke the key switch during all this and had to replace that also. I ran the boat in the lake twice (got lucky it started) and it seemed to run good, it just didn?t have all the performance it should have. After about 3 weeks I got the motor to start and run in the driveway like it should have when new. I read about the turbojet on the internet and participated on different forums. I may have read every post on iboats about turbojet and I asked a few questions too. On more than one occasion someone asked about compression and I responded I had good compression in all 4 cylinders. I checked compression with my finger not a gauge.
Today I ran the boat in the driveway connected to the garden hose for cooling, and it purred like a kitten. It run a little fast at idle and I adjusted that. I let it run for close to 30 minutes, idling and off idle, with no issues. I turned it off and about 20 minutes later I turned the key and it started, right now. With garden hose cooling I allowed the motor to run 10 minutes more. Off to the lake for a test cruise. On the trailer in the water it started with one turn of the key and I let it run 2 or 3 minutes. Shut the motor off and launched the boat, parked the truck and trailer, and climbed on board. Well after 10 minutes (seemed like 30 min) I could not get the boat to start so we loaded it up and drove to the marine repair shop. I?m told my compression is just a little low, not really bad, just low enough that water against the exhaust creates enough back pressure to affect cylinder vacuum and not allow the fuel mixture to be drawn in. If I use the primer it floods and if I don?t prime it doesn?t get enough.
Had I taken the boat to the marine repair when I got it and waited the 4 or 5 days (their backlog of work), they would have said you need a stator, fuel pump, spark plugs, carbs cleaned, and you have low compression that could affect how the boat will operate. Their diagnosis charge would have been $105.00 dollars or possibly as much as $210.00 dollars (about what I spent on the stator alone). I could have made a decision about repairing the compression problem or selling the boat as it is. I could have made that decision two weeks ago with about $350.00 dollars more in my pocket.
But don?t feel sorry for me, as I?m about to continue on my way. If the cylinders aren?t scored and the head bolts come out without damage I?m thinking of machining a few (.010) thousands off the heads (increasing compression) and maybe I can get some use out of the boat this season. I?ll keep you posted on my progress.
I can only hope this is helpful to someone
Jim

86 century

Ensign
Re: Turbojet 115 saga

Did they tell you what the comp numbers are.

I have one of the dreaded turbojets my self have pretty done all that you have.

The stator went out in the middle of the lake had to be towed in.
Power pack died in the drive thank god
voltage regulator went some where in there(was starting slow) made it to the dock before it wouldn't crank.

After all that it has ran good all of this year. Knock on would this will continue

owl

Cadet

The compression is #1 90, #2 85, #3 80, #4 85. The motor will start and run fine on the trailer but once it is floating on the water NO start. The dealer/marine repair doesn’t know what to do short of pull the motor and disassemble the whole thing. I want to remove the cylinder heads and machine .010 off the face. I have to walk away from this thing for a few days and change my way of thinking. If the head bolts come out without breaking I will give some serious thought to my next move.
Thanks for looking
Jim

Lt.Daly

Recruit

I have a 1994 115hp Fling went through the same things as you the low compression cylinder was partly melted possibly from water in the cylinder I bored out the cylinder .20 oversize and put back together . Let you know when done.

owl

Cadet

OK! I got the heads off and didn’t damage the bolts or the threads in the block. Using a mirror I could not see any major wear on the cylinder walls (some wear but not drastic). It took a few hours to jig the head on the Bridgeport and get it dialed in. I cut .008 (only .007 on the other) off the gasket surface to make it flat and that is where I left it (equal amount from each head). New head gaskets and a couple of hours and we’re ready to go. I got over 110 lbs. compression now. Guess what? NO start. After all that has been done to this thing I find my new electric fuel pump is no good. I’m guessing the fuel pump has been the problem for many days. Another new pump and this thing runs great. It’s got a lot of low end torque and starts every time. I purchased a BRP pulse fuel pump (the dealer didn’t see an issue with outboard part on inboard boat better than the electric pump) that will use the pulse port (no limiter). There are two pumps to choose from. A three hose BRP #0438557 (the one I’m using) and a two hose that would bolt to the block BRP #0438556. So the only thing I can offer to others is don’t trust what you have done before. Always check everything every time.
Good Luck
Jim