Overheating at idle MCM 140 1978?

Boatbudd

Cadet
I was trying to figure out how this cooling system works because it is overheating at idle. So far I have figured out (I think) that water comes in to the engine thru a smaller hose (about 1" ID) to a port near the thermostat. It seems to return thru the exhaust ?

I read somewhere about some check balls causing this problem? Any advice?? Thanks Bud

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Overheating at idle MCM 140 1978?

I was trying to figure out how this cooling system works because it is overheating at idle. So far I have figured out (I think) that water comes in to the engine thru a smaller hose (about 1" ID) to a port near the thermostat. It seems to return thru the exhaust ?

I read somewhere about some check balls causing this problem? Any advice?? Thanks Bud

Howdy,

You pretty much have it correct where the water comes from.

Marine engines overheating at idle are usually due to a defective raw water pump or clogged water supply hose/fittings (from raw water pump impeller fragments or other debris) Since the jacketed exhaust system also can clog and prevent the water from exiting, it can also result in the same type of overheating symptoms.

The checkballs are in the thermostat housing (V-6/8 engines) to equalize the water flow to the manifolds/risers.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Overheating at idle MCM 140 1978?

cool1.jpg