1969 evunrude 6hp-can't get the rpm's back up after idle down

sprogg&fin

Seaman
I just did the coils and impeller, it runs great on start up sounds good everything but as soon as I idle down it still runs good but I cannot get the rpm's back up even if I stop and restart it. I think I have fuel flooding or starving the carb? , I have adjusted the needle to spec and even played with it a bit but the same thing. any help would be appreciated. thank you in advance

sprogg&fin

Seaman
Re: 1969 evunrude 6hp-can't get the rpm's back up after idle down

I just did the coils and impeller, it runs great on start up sounds good everything but as soon as I idle down it still runs good but I cannot get the rpm's back up even if I stop and restart it. I think I have fuel flooding or starving the carb? , I have adjusted the needle to spec and even played with it a bit but the same thing. any help would be appreciated. thank you in advance

would putting a fuel pump on from a 9.5hp johnson cause it to get too much fuel?

scipper77

Commander

If the float, needle, and seat in the carb are doing there job you shouldn't have any flooding issues.

If you don't know what's going on with the carb then maybe a rebuild would be worth it.

If you want to be conservative then I would start with compression, and spark checks.

AlTn

Commander

check out leeroysramblings.com....he has a section on 6 hp. models

sprogg&fin

Seaman

thanks for the reply , I think I will start with spark and compression, do you think as I put a pump from a 9.5 on it that it would effect it, it pumps fine but would it be to much pressure

sprogg&fin

Seaman

thanks I will check it out too

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

My .02 would be to check the carb first.

scipper77

Commander

If it were me I would have checked compression right away just because its easy to do. If I didn't have a compression gauge or spark tester I wouldn't hesitate to pull the carb and tabs it apart.

I think the carb is at issue, mostly because the carb usually is the issue.

Also, the fuel pump is powered by impulses from the motor. I just don't see a larger pump being capable of more pressure.